New Truck Advice

Derakhte Mazda

Hi All,

I apologise in advance as I know this has been done to death. I have read so many threads but there are conflicting views and I am confused.

I want to buy a tipper, brand new. 3.5t class, pulling a 750kg tipper. Single cab, double rear wheel, city driving on tarmac, doing domestic jobs. Tool box behind the cab and a closed back chip box.

Every van/truck has pros and cons

Correct me if I am wrong:

Transit: cheap to buy, run, repair, drives well, medium pay load, rusts a lot, doesn’t pull like a truck (but i will only be pulling 750)

Grafter/Cabstar: expensive to buy, run, repair, great turning arc, small payload, rusty, pulls well, reliable

Key features I am looking for are high pay load, fuel costs, ease of repair and reliability, good turning arc. 

Any experienced advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

6 minutes ago, Derakhte Mazda said:

I read they have small pay loads is that correct?

depends on what you mean,  i have a Transit that can physically hold a lot of chip but it would be overweight if i was to do so....

A cabstar and grafter can probably carry more chip legally versus a transit.  Your choice as to how you want to play it.

Edited by wicklamulla
cake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Cabstar on tarmac every time for me, they carry the weight better than a Transit, can't say I've noticed much difference in the two when towing. You do get to know your passengers very well though.

i kind of disagree as a Cabstar carries weight legally as opposed to better in my not so humble onion. Transit for me as they are cheap to buy and run,  spares are so easy to get (the same day usually) and they have a bigger cab fer voluptuous lads loike meself.  If i was city working it'd be an Isuzu Grafter i reckon,  better turning circle and easier to park.

Edited by wicklamulla

4 minutes ago, wicklamulla said:

i kind of disagree as a Cabstar carries weight legally as opposed to better in my not so humble onion. Transit for me as they are cheap to buy and run,  spares are so easy to get (the same day usually) and they have a bigger cab fer voluptuous lads loike meself.  If i was city working it'd be an Isuzu Grafter i reckon,  better turning circle and easier to park.

We'll have to agree to disagree Ken, overloaded Transits are like steering a boat, Cabstars are a lot more stable, so I'm told, having never been overloaded myself I can only go on what I've read?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

We'll have to agree to disagree Ken, overloaded Transits are like steering a boat, Cabstars are a lot more stable, so I'm told, having never been overloaded myself I can only go on what I've read?

i not agreeing to anyting!

• Haha 1

I run a Cabstar and have done for 14 years.

Cheaper to buy new then a transit.

Tows well and can handle the weight.

Great turning circle and can fit into any drive.

Is tight for three guys in the cab but apart from that a great truck for tree work.

Did drive transits for the firm I started out with and they are good vans but the Cabstar just feels more like a truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1