Timberwolf shares ‘all the facts’ around Stage V legislation with new campaign

Steve Bullman

54 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes and it's the rebated fuel that's the clincher. I used diesels all my working life and like them for theior robustness as much as anything else.

That's right but it's also about the local environment as particulates from combustion don't travel far.

The simple fact is that most particulates in our local environment are man made, those from combustion are implicated in many health problems. Also there are no safe lower limits for the air we breathe, This is because once ingested  the disruption that the chemicals on the particles can cause to DNA is deep seated. Thereby lies an effect, when manual workers only lived to middle age in the randomness of chance the associated cancers did not develop, now we are ageing  the chances increase. Also  many cancers are not attributable to a cause yet so the full story is yet to be told.

Having said that and not to be complacent  our air quality has improved drastically since my childhood, less bonfires, better emission controls on power stations, next to no stubble burning, lead removed from petrol, fewer open fires etc. so Transport and woodburning become the biggest emitters and attract attention.

That's another story and probably now too late to do anything about it except learn to live with the consequences, it's the tragedy of the commons because capitalism cannot factor in external costs.

Yes and this is where petrol hybrids will be more suitable than diesel ic engines for transport but for long haul...

As I understand it DPFs differ from catalysts in that they actually prevent the particles getting out as all the effluent has to pass through the walls of the filter medium, rather than pass down tubes lined with catalyst which initiates a break down. Normally the DPF is hot enough to burn the small particles to CO2 which then passes out, if the DPF isn't hot enough then it begins to block , the back pressure is senses and sufficient fuel is added by various nefarious means to heat it up and burn out the soot. Over time ash in the fuel and other solids will clog it and it will need replacing, at some expense.

My little diesel has no DPF but I only use it for long journeys. I note in recent weeks the differential in price between petrol and DERV has increased such that my mate's petrol hybrid now challenges my diesel overall on fuel cost.

Thats a good post! Makes a lot of sense

• Thanks 1