Working in Scandinavia in winter

LeeGray

After hearing on the radio yesterday about a place in Norway where the sun has now set till middle of January I was wondering how outside workers get on. Does everyone shut up and just enjoy the time off, workshop projects etc and make the most of the endless summer days or just muddle on with lights, proper set ups for night working? Find it fascinating that this happens not that far from us. Any experience?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeeGray said:

After hearing on the radio yesterday about a place in Norway where the sun has now set till middle of January I was wondering how outside workers get on. Does everyone shut up and just enjoy the time off, workshop projects etc and make the most of the endless summer days or just muddle on with lights, proper set ups for night working? Find it fascinating that this happens not that far from us. Any experience?

I work in Norway, although rarely on-shore but on the Oil Rigs so my input might be limited. :D I still have a house in Stavanger and Im over here right now as I have a few days to work in the office. 

I sometimes work off of Hammerfest and have a job coming up there soon. Yes, its dark all the time now, and bloody freezing. The Norgies just work around it. Keep the same hours etc. Airports dont close at the first flurry of snow like in the UK. The Law is in the Winter you must use Winter Tyres, studded tyres are optional but I love them so people can carry on regardless of the weather. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeeGray said:

Do the days feel long? I imagine  constant darkness outside must be hard going on your head.

12-16  hour shifts for 15 to 21 days straight feel long enough as it is to worry about if there is light outside or not. :D We work a 24 hour crew anyway, so from September till March (roughly) its constant dark for those that are on Night-shift anyway. The only really annoying this is not being able to see as well. So we all wear Head Torches everywhere. Of course the rigs have lights but if you're in a Tool Basket ior Container its pitch black. 

£ is a strong motivator I guess. Tough work though, I’ve done 12 hour nights before and found it hard going even inside. Mind hardest bit was driving past the pub everyone else was in at 8 o clock on a Friday night on the the way to work.

Just now, LeeGray said:

£ is a strong motivator I guess. Tough work though, I’ve done 12 hour nights before and found it hard going even inside. Mind hardest bit was driving past the pub everyone else was in at 8 o clock on a Friday night on the the way to work.

Good money in Norway too. The unions are bloody strong so the companys cant rape you. We get a bonus each day we're there and a night-shift hardship bonus which doubles that. Every hour over 12 hours is an extra £100 and if we get less than 30 minutes for lunch we get another £100. :D After day 15 its £1000 a day. Holidays is an extra £250 a day, anmd Norway has many. So if you do a 16 hour day on a public holiday and miss lunch after day 15 you've made over £2000 for a knackering days work. 

We work 4 weeks on 4 weeks off. If they ask you to work in yiour off-period you can say no, but each day in your off-period is classed as a day after 15 days. Money to be made if you like working like a slave. :D