Wanted-Bandsaw Mill

trigger_andy

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

We have work for both to be honest.Go for a bandsaw mill every time as the work involved using a chainsaw mill is cut by two thirds,If your on a budget then go for the woodland HM 122 as start from £2400 and chis pearce is a uk dealer and a good friend of mine and so helpful,I spoke to him last week about andy getting a hm 130.

Cheers for that 

122 probs would be on the small side and whilst the budget is always relevant the right choice is giving me more of a headache. I've got a couple of Alaskans and a 661/880 to run them hence being drawn to the M8. Mill would only be for me and family initially, first job is approx 25 ton of Douglas fir to be cut for a traditional timber frame extension. Mind you I guess the Alaskans could do it as time is not an issue but the thought of that much chainsaw mill action fills me with dread. Do you have a contact e mail or number for the guy you mention "chris " 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers for that 

122 probs would be on the small side and whilst the budget is always relevant the right choice is giving me more of a headache. I've got a couple of Alaskans and a 661/880 to run them hence being drawn to the M8. Mill would only be for me and family initially, first job is approx 25 ton of Douglas fir to be cut for a traditional timber frame extension. Mind you I guess the Alaskans could do it as time is not an issue but the thought of that much chainsaw mill action fills me with dread. Do you have a contact e mail or number for the guy you mention "chris " 

Hi 

disregard that request for the number etc, just had a quick look online and got his contact details 

thanks 

4 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers for that 

Id weigh up the extra time used to Mill 25 Tons versus buying a Bandsaw. I dont know how many days that would be but could be considerable? That would be days you could be out earning instead of Milling. 

Another issue I found when looking for a used Mill is there simply is none for sale. :D And if you manage to find one they want 90% retail for a 4 year old machine. You'd almost be as well buying a new Mill, running it for a year then selling it on. You'd lose about £500.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Id weigh up the extra time used to Mill 25 Tons versus buying a Bandsaw. I dont know how many days that would be but could be considerable? That would be days you could be out earning instead of Milling. 

Another issue I found when looking for a used Mill is there simply is none for sale. :D And if you manage to find one they want 90% retail for a 4 year old machine. You'd almost be as well buying a new Mill, running it for a year then selling it on. You'd lose about £500.

Valid points in particular the cost of used and the resale value. when I'm earning that means I'm away normally either offshore or overseas so whilst time to complete the jobs I have lined up is not pressing the actual time I have at home is something else. The 500 loss is easy to stomach I guess when a days hire for a woodmizer with operator is 400-450. 

11 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Cheers for that 

We cut douglas fir all the time and the time it would take to chainsaw mill 25 ton would be  weeks,3/4 days with a bandsaw mill so time is money in my book,If you phone chris mention les and he will know and i may be able to help if needed john.

Edited by topchippyles

Also, bear in mind the additional waste incurred with a chainsaw mill. You have to take thicker slabwood off the top (you have to have enough to screw the ladder/guide into) and the extra kerf is a real issue if you are dealing with cladding. 

Topchippyles - if you've enough work for two manual bandsawmills, I'd suggest it's time to upgrade to a hydraulic mill. Once you've got hydraulic log handling, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Valid points in particular the cost of used and the resale value. when I'm earning that means I'm away normally either offshore or overseas so whilst time to complete the jobs I have lined up is not pressing the actual time I have at home is something else. The 500 loss is easy to stomach I guess when a days hire for a woodmizer with operator is 400-450. 

Off-shore or over-sea's? That sounds strangely familiare to me? :D What do you do? 

7 hours ago, Big J said:

Also, bear in mind the additional waste incurred with a chainsaw mill. You have to take thicker slabwood off the top (you have to have enough to screw the ladder/guide into) and the extra kerf is a real issue if you are dealing with cladding. 

Topchippyles - if you've enough work for two manual bandsawmills, I'd suggest it's time to upgrade to a hydraulic mill. Once you've got hydraulic log handling, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

2 different locations at the moment hence 2 mills Big j

16 hours ago, topchippyles said:

We cut douglas fir all the time and the time it would take to chainsaw mill 25 ton would be  weeks,3/4 days with a bandsaw mill so time is money in my book,If you phone chris mention les and he will know and i may be able to help if needed john.

Cheers for all the advice guys, sometimes you just need a shove in the right direction. I was as I've said dreading doing it with an Alaskan. Anyway spoke to Chris today at woodlands UK and pretty much made my mind up on what direction to go, only question left is 130 or 126 with the 14hp option. Chances are the 126 would do all I ever need. He mentioned the 130 is being slightly heavier/tougher built ??? Anyone here had hands on with both and willing to offer any input ?

I was also wondering if there are any members on here around the Aberdeenshire area with either the 125/130 set up, be handy to see one up and running with some hrs on it etc