changing your life

Stephen Blair

Frank i tried what you are wanting and failed, the reason i failed was because i went from tree climber/branch dragger to a businessman/salesman/negotiator with no training, if i ever had the chance of doing it all again, i would employ a pricing/surveyor and put him on comision, a pa just to chase money, on comision aswell, a good lawyer to sort out all the idiots that dont want to pay, and a head chargehand who is a ball breaker who beasts and punishes useless workers and doesnt take any crap, i would just do the climbing and make my company limited so if i got shafted i could walk away, still have my house and start up the next day with a clean sheet. But thats not my style, so i just happily go to work in my little van with gloria and try and drink as much coffee and have a laugh all day, good luck mate and aim high:thumbup1:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Profit is profit, it has nothing to do with spare time or hours you work. The most profitable or tree surgery is getting the tree on the ground, after that you are just covering costs, labour, vehicles,finance,fuel insurances etc, yard space. I try and just do the profitable bit now and that can be done by getting rid of the offsite part of the job, it is working for me so far, i do have the truck which means i can consentrate on getting lots of jobs on the ground and ready for uplift, then come round later, but i could easily have a firewood guy come round and clear my feet if i wanted:001_smile:but i dont:biggrin:

What I meant was, the more time you put into work, the more money you earn, otherwise why are you bothering putting effort in at all. My plans for the future are far bigger than just getting trees to the ground or taking branches off here and there. I fully agree that with you that more time with family, enjoying life is mightily important and getting rid of the off site chores will help that no end. However, you are then gonna be static and not progress, you will only earn what you can till 4 p.m, hence you can only earn what you can charge. You can only charge what others are willing to pay.

On the other hand, if you where to progress to where I want to be eventually, then 2 gangs will go out performing tree surgery, 1 surveyor will go out doing reports etc, stumpgrinder will go out erm.....grinding, trees at the nursery will be selling face to face and online, so they will be getting delivered, the grounds maintenance gangs will be cutting grass and hedges etc.The oak beams milled 5 years ago will be going to quality new build houses, etc etc etc. You get the picture.

I will get up every morning, casually check the ftse 100 in the financial times, whilst sipping freshly squeezed orange juice whilst the missus is in the shower planning her shopping trip into town. I then choose which car to take to the office for a couple of hours and then head to the golf course or gym in the afternoon. :lol::lol:

The struggle with running a large company is that no one ever does the job like you do. (that other people have caused).

THAT is the thing you have realise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of us are tree climbers first and business men a very poor second!!

What I meant was, the more time you put into work, the more money you earn, otherwise why are you bothering putting effort in at all. My plans for the future are far bigger than just getting trees to the ground or taking branches off here and there. I fully agree that with you that more time with family, enjoying life is mightily important and getting rid of the off site chores will help that no end. However, you are then gonna be static and not progress, you will only earn what you can till 4 p.m, hence you can only earn what you can charge. You can only charge what others are willing to pay.

On the other hand, if you where to progress to where I want to be eventually, then 2 gangs will go out performing tree surgery, 1 surveyor will go out doing reports etc, stumpgrinder will go out erm.....grinding, trees at the nursery will be selling face to face and online, so they will be getting delivered, the grounds maintenance gangs will be cutting grass and hedges etc.The oak beams milled 5 years ago will be going to quality new build houses, etc etc etc. You get the picture.

I will get up every morning, casually check the ftse 100 in the financial times, whilst sipping freshly squeezed orange juice whilst the missus is in the shower planning her shopping trip into town. I then choose which car to take to the office for a couple of hours and then head to the golf course or gym in the afternoon. :lol::lol:

is that when the wife wakes you up says FRANK !!! your going to be late again with all that dreaming :laugh1:

Frank i tried what you are wanting and failed, the reason i failed was because i went from tree climber/branch dragger to a businessman/salesman/negotiator with no training, if i ever had the chance of doing it all again, i would employ a pricing/surveyor and put him on comision, a pa just to chase money, on comision aswell, a good lawyer to sort out all the idiots that dont want to pay, and a head chargehand who is a ball breaker who beasts and punishes useless workers and doesnt take any crap, i would just do the climbing and make my company limited so if i got shafted i could walk away, still have my house and start up the next day with a clean sheet. But thats not my style, so i just happily go to work in my little van with gloria and try and drink as much coffee and have a laugh all day, good luck mate and aim high:thumbup1:

My idea is slow and steady not too much too quick, soo many folks round here (not tree companies) get a load of work adn hire 6 staff, buy 3 transits, then wonder why they have to lay them off over xmas. I will aim high. I have a 10 year, a 20 year and a 30 year target plan already in front of me now. 3 years self employed on 27th feb 2010 and I am only just about to buy my first chipper.

Yes and then you will hear your lass shouting from down stairs " come on Darren, your coffee is going cold and your going to be late, GET UP!!"

LOL!!! Johny beat me too it!!!LOL!!!!!

Edited by skyhuck

is that when the wife wakes you up says FRANK !!! your going to be late again with all that dreaming :laugh1:

Absolutely. But hey, I have to have ambitions. I have never believed in running a static company, there is always the next level to reach. Like I said, im only young. I watch too much dragons den haha.

All well and good but how does that span out into the long term??? I.E business wise??? Surely your company will be fairly static??? In other words, you will be limited in how much profit you make and how much spare time you have.

More spare time = less profit

More profit = less spare time.

My idea is to build up slowly (I'm still a young buck at 27).

Progressing my company gradually until it is an all singing all dancing environmental arboricultural solutions masterpiece offering everything from tree surgery to planting, surveys to consulting etc etc. By then the company will be paying for someone else to answer the phone, price the jobs, climb the trees etc etc, and I will tootle about yuppyville sipping mocha lattes in my range rover.

yeah wonder whos going to be doing all the work :biggrin:

Yes and then you will hear your lass shouting from down stairs " come on Darren, your coffee is going cold and your going to be late, GET UP!!"

LOL!!! Johny beat me too it!!!LOL!!!!!

Haha, more like "Hurry up, you need to do Mrs Richardsons hedge today, cos we need that 80 quid for asda tonite".:001_tt2: