Steep driveway surface

openspaceman

A friend has a house and a new build in the garden  where previous owners appear not to have had a car. It is very steep, about 1 in 3 or 4 I guess and the current gravel surface is getting sprayed onto the public road as vehicles drive in. Actually I nearly lost  my bike on it as I wheelspun up the drive , snuck it in neutral, put my left foot down and proceeded to roll back to the road  with the front wheel locked.

Anyway  thinking about a suitable surface, concrete with ridges? SMA or just plain tarmac  any thoughts pro and con? I think @eggsarascalhas some experience here.

What about comparative costs per metre squared?

Edited by openspaceman

4 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

A friend has a house and a new build in the garden  where previous owners appear not to have had a car. It is very steep, about 1 in 3 or 4 I guess and the current gravel surface is getting sprayed onto the public road as vehicles drive in. Actually I nearly lost  my bike on it as I wheelspun up the drive , snuck it in neutral, put my left foot down and proceeded to roll back to the road  with the front wheel locked.

Anyway  thinking about a suitable surface, concrete with ridges? SMA or just plain tarmac  any thoughts pro and con? I think @eggsarascalhas some experience here.

What about comparative costs per metre squared?

I've not done any surfacing for a good while, so I'll hold off until I've spoken to a mate.

@aspenarb might be more upto date?

How big an area is it?

1 minute ago, Toad said:

Where is it?

Petersfield

1 minute ago, Toad said:

A nice ac6 surface on ac20 binder might do the job. Just for cars I'm assuming?

What's that to a lay man? Yes just for cars but I expect delivery drivers will use it and a lorry tried to back in today but failed.

1 minute ago, Toad said:

What soil type is it? 

Clay over chalk I think

1 minute ago, Toad said:

Ought to consider run off from the surface. Water shouldn't run onto the highway.

It does at present  and I cannot see an obvious way to prevent it.

Awesome. Close to me then. 

Ac6 is a 6mm tarmac. Same sort of thing you get on footways etc. 

I can suggest a few people. Southern drives did an access for me at home recently and have done jobs for me through work. Always been pleased with the quality of the work. They are based down in farlington I think. 

Might have to put an aco channel in the front behind the highway boundary. I'm assuming this work would be all on private land? Nothing on the highway? The cost of licenses has gone up a lot in Hampshire.

32 minutes ago, daveatdave said:

I would go with concreate try to make the tamp marks so it runs the water off to the side and not hold it there behind the marks. Its going to be a bugger in the winter with snow and ice 

I was wondering how you would prevent concrete slumping down the hill.

The probelm with concrete is it really does not like salt/grit and it willl lift the top skin of it.

Dunno if that is an issue down where u are if u get much frost/snow?

Must admit i prefe concrete over tar for ease of washing  and if turning/screwing wheels but the salt does make a right mess of it..

U can get water permable tar now but guessing the steepness of slope would make it a waste of time.

I'd probably go with wot toad said tar plus an eco drain, just got to dig a soakway for ur drain