And I'm back to having a sawmill.....

Big J

Looks like we will be limited to 3.7kw as that's the largest single phase motor available. I'm no concerned though as the cutting power ought to be somewhere between an MS661 and an MS880, coupled with the fact that the mill isn't running on the surface of the wood, meaning no friction. 

I've opted to reduce the cut length to 16ft as my forwarder won't easily handle 20ft and I don't have vast amounts of space here. 

I will probably fit a 3/8 low profile chain.

Mark - I'll save you the offcuts mate :D

Once mine is in and I'm happy with it, I'm happy to organise mills for other Arbtalkers. A good occasional mill me thinks :D

• Like 3

I've opted to reduce the throat to 18 inches (24 inch bar). Fewer teeth to sharpen, cheaper bars and chains and given than an 18 inch cut would likely come from a 24 inch log, my forwarder won't lift anything larger anyway. Plus, quicker cutting.

Edited by Big J

Hi Big J , will be be cutting quite thick first cut as I would come and get a van load at a time , I make stick chairs or star gazer chairs out of first cuts and struggling to find a good supply wide and thick enough , just a thought as you mentioned thick off cuts

Good luck with it 

Cheers Mark 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Big J said:

I've opted to reduce the throat to 18 inches (24 inch bar). Fewer teeth to sharpen, cheaper bars and chains and given than an 18 inch cut would likely come from a 24 inch log, my forwarder won't lift anything larger anyway. Plus, quicker cutting.

It looks a smashing set-up.

Apologies for the silly question (s):  Is the reservoir for chain oil? Is it gravity fed? and lastly why not use the oil feed holes in the bar? The pictures are good. I just couldn't make that bit out.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2018 at 22:53, Big J said:

Looking forward to getting it here and installed. My feeling with regards to chainsaw mills is that the chainsaw is the weak link. Having gone from diesel to petrol through to electric on my three original band mills (Woodmizer, Logmaster and Trakmet), I can testify that electric is by far the superior power option. 

With it being single phase and not too heavy, it's technically mobile too assuming you have something to lift it on and off. It is 7 metres long though.

my god how true that is!!!!
i have spent more time tinkering with the old 075's that came with my old mill than milling, the amount of times iv said

''could do with an engineer to make a mill that will use chainsaw bar and chain and wither electric motor or hydraulic drive but give a 50"cut''
this is that my double head mill will do and i am getting logs that nearly max it out, 
anyone know of an fabricator up for a challenge like that, or do i just battle on and  save up and get a manual trekmet with a 42" cut for about £9k plus delivery and import tax, or just get a paid of 880's with little use to hopefully be more reliable!!!

PS, awesome looking mill BigJ

Sorry to sound negative but it looks lethal to me.                                                                                                                                              I certainly wouldn't use this let alone outside!!.

Just study the wiring, controls and motor (vent upward) they all need protection ideally in a Sorel type

weatherproof enclosure with all cable and flexible glands coming out underneath and not pointing upward. 

Imagine using this when it rains if it isn't P65 rated, importantly there is most probably insufficient earthing

to the extraneous metalwork, also trailing leads are too long for compliance with  IEE regulations which are

there for your  safety and protection.

So contrary to the comments that electric is the way forward, so it may be BUT only if it is

safe and compliant with the regulations. You are well advised to insist on it being fully tested by an IEE

registered electrical tester who will issue a relevant certificate of compliance before purchasing.