And I'm back to having a sawmill.....

Big J

After 2 short months without a sawmill, I've ordered one for my own personal use. I've not yet had to purchase any timber from anyone else, and with the new one arriving in 6 weeks, I'm hopeful that I won't.

Keeping it really simple and low cost, so a carriage chainsaw mill, with a 6m cut and a 55cm throat. 3.5 to 5kw single phase electric motor (to be finalised), from an engineering company who I've bought from before and who produce solidly built and well designed kit. I'm only intending to cut the odd beam, rail, and occasional batch of cladding for myself, and with me producing timber with the forestry work, I'm not worried about the waste from the 3/8 chain kerf.

More details to come, but I felt that it was the simplest, best value way of producing good quality timber with minimum fuss.

42658404_2145656045754305_3043194116893573120_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&oh=56d6965c816005a350182d7a0be9d92a&oe=5C5451FF42791018_680537778984284_805394204376170496_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=e6f90ec368676ee6c95bea3216f3c50b&oe=5C5B98E942813401_1882745295169787_6272723293980065792_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&oh=a73034dd1e5f35b7fad6610d343439db&oe=5C4FF44F

• Like 7

I'll be wasteful with the cutting, so thick offcuts (no edging) and square edged boards throughout. 

About £2500 fully assembled and collected from Wales, I think. Plus VAT. Somewhere in that ballpark as there are still some variables. 

Wow, a lot of saw for little money!

There a quite a few on the forum who will follow this with interest, so keep it coming [emoji106]
I bet that's some fast cutting looking at the gearing from motor to sprocket. And effortless electric - no vibes or fumes and only the zing of the chain to listen to. Let us know your progress.
  • Like 1

Looking forward to getting it here and installed. My feeling with regards to chainsaw mills is that the chainsaw is the weak link. Having gone from diesel to petrol through to electric on my three original band mills (Woodmizer, Logmaster and Trakmet), I can testify that electric is by far the superior power option. 

With it being single phase and not too heavy, it's technically mobile too assuming you have something to lift it on and off. It is 7 metres long though.

• Like 1

Haha that didn't last long ?

Looks a beast of a chainsaw mill! 5kw off single phase is a lot so hope you have good power supply. My 3kw machines make all the lights in the house dip on start up. Guess it has some soft start system. What kerf bar have you gone for?

Still not taken the plunge yet on a mill myself so would love to come and have a gander once you have it up and running.

Good luck with it and have sneaky suspicion it wont be your last mill 

• Like 1

Hi Big J , will be be cutting quite thick first cut as I would come and get a van load at a time , I make stick chairs or star gazer chairs out of first cuts and struggling to find a good supply wide and thick enough , just a thought as you mentioned thick off cuts

Good luck with it 

Cheers Mark 

• Like 1