Tree Alergy!

Harrison2604

Off work for a week damn it!!!! Worked on a pine on Tuesday, and iv been covered in itchy lumps all over my body! I had to attend A & E this morning because i went into anaphylactic shock!!! I hope it's not an allergy i shall have for the rest of my life or i may have to change my career!

get over it first,then try tapeing a couple of the tree needles to your arm for a few minutes,see what happens.

then try again for a bit longer if no reaction after a day or so.

(ask doctor first about this,if he says its safe,try it).

May have been something else that set it off.

God that sucks beyond belief.

Might be fungi, there were reports last year of something giving allergic reactions, I had really bad reactions to, I don't know what, last year, I got referred to the allergy clinic earlier this year. They did the tests and said it could literally be anything

I'm now on Cetirizine and will be for the rest of my life. They are non drowsy (for me anyway) and there are no side effects to taking them long term. It's better than having my lips/throat swell up and die (I suppose). Good luck old chap if you need any more info I can try and help.

Oh and don't change career, there are ways around it.

I personally think that I have a reaction to some thing in food.

Off work for a week damn it!!!! Worked on a pine on Tuesday, and iv been covered in itchy lumps all over my body! I had to attend A & E this morning because i went into anaphylactic shock!!! I hope it's not an allergy i shall have for the rest of my life or i may have to change my career!

Mate of mine came out in an unexplained rash for years before finally getting it diagnosed by an expert. Turns out he's allergic to a liverwort(!) that grows on hazel and on laurel. As long as he avoids both these species. he's fine. Drove him up the wall for ages. He also had to give up beekeeping after developing an allergy to stings!

It's terrible! Booked an allergy test for next week so I shall see what happens!

The pines I was working on were also covered in ivy so i suppose it could be that!

I've been off work for a short while now and iv cleaned absolutely everything & I'm staying away from anything of mine which has come in contact with any trees... I've cleaned the bed sheets and obviously wearing clean clothes every day & I'm still having the reaction... so now I have no idea what it is! It's really starting to get on my nerves. Hopefully going for a good climb tomorrow though, try out the new butterfly harness on this lovely big beech I've spotted haha.

If anyone could give me any advise about allergic reactions it would be much appreciated. :001_smile:

could well be Ivy, I made the mistake of smelling Rohans fleece (not being Kinky just checking it wanted washing - a womans thing! trying to cut down wasing!) and couldnt stop sneezing for 3 days - first day was struck to my bed with flu like symptoms - and No it wasnt Roh's B.O. - but that could have been a significant factor

When the lads have done Ivy in the past they are very often sneezing/headachey the next day and can last several days - with red blotches on arms that were exposed to it

no one yet had any probs with pines thank goodness - but I think Ivy is one to be respected and take care

also is it at this time of year the Ivy is flowering? could be the pollen also released - will have to check with Rohan on that but I know Rohans always said Ivy is terrible to skin and breathing probs. can happen when clearing off walls/trees etc had probs in the past

hope you feel better soon and the results come through OK for you to carry on, might have to have a cautizone cream or similar?

Edited by Joy Yeomans
add a bit more info