Peter's Truck Thread

Peter

Had one, used it to pick some logs up, sold it for a handsome profit.

On a sensitive surface a good operator will tickle the blades of the grapple under the log while lifting at the same time, getting a good grip and avoiding damage to the ground. I have lifted plenty of logs off lawns and tarmac drives without so much as a scratch.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not doubting you skill with your grapple Peter, i bet there has been a few sods along the way thrown back down and packed up with sawdust though:sneaky2: personally i lifted loads of stuff i shouldnt, it was a bit like fishing tbh, got a nice bbq and garden set once while working blind over a wall:thumbup:

I have dug some holes with it, once a client asked me if I could remove a shrub and grind the roots out, just swung the grapple round, stuck the blades in the ground either side of the rootball and squeezed the whole lot out in one!

Thats one thing you cant do with a brick grab!

Swap the grapple and rotator, the brick grab rotator will work, but isnt really up to the job. Original piping is fine, but you may need to fit a pressure limiting device to avoid damage to the log grapple, as most hiab cranes run at around 300 bar, whereas log loaders tend to run at around 220 bar.

Cheers Peter.

Interesting truck conversion and good crane choice. Did you have to use an engineer's report to insure it after the chassis changes? (Not standard vehicle)

I would given the choice always go for an all wheel drive vehicle if available due to work conditions like the electric board one in this picture.

We have moved loads of wood over the years and I would :001_smile: suggest the front bulkhead needs a serious upgrade to prevent it breaking off and into the back of the cabin with the oversize lumps on board. The metal framework has some very twisted sections. "better safe than sorry"

2chieftaintimbertrailer.jpg.c43c09317fdec00c07121b1b2d4f44e6.jpg

597658f93d06d_Iveco4x4.jpg.4769f6956bb7c2980eb2065d3ce5912f.jpg

With regard to the chassis modifications, all you have to do is fill in a form detailing the changes you have made and take it to a VOSA testing station, they give it the once over and decide if its up to scratch. It doesnt make any difference to insurance, in fact a high proportion of trucks are lengthened or shortened at some point in their working life, quite often by the supplying dealer prior to purchase.

It is due a new headboard at some point, although that one is a lot stronger than it looks. There are plenty of flat artic trailers carrying timber with no headboard at all, not my idea of fun though!

• 3 years later...