what do you use to connect your pull belt?

cerneARB

yes i agree its got me started and ive learnt alot and i can climb a tree and use a chainsaw. but i think if i was up against someone on the same course at merrist wood i think they would be far better. but then thats a well established arb college.

Unlikly, I think it comes down more to your own natural ability/apititude.

On the job is when you'll start learning, and hopefully you'll have good experience there to draw upon.

You guys taught throw lining and footlocking at college?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unlikly, I think it comes down more to your own natural ability/apititude.

On the job is when you'll start learning, and hopefully you'll have good experience there to draw upon.

You guys taught throw lining and footlocking at college?

no dont think we have throw lines ive never seen any. footlocking, we were shown a couple of times breifly. but different method to what i see most people using.

funny thing advice

did the chap in the shop tell you not to use 3 way Krab, or did he advise you to avoid certain makes??

possably the latter... not all Krabs work with certain bits of kit (gear miss match is oftern overlooked and quite a problem in this industry) and some makes also have inherent issues with their operation, being moor prone to fouling and sticking than others. cant name makes really but most of us know through use that a certain companies Krabs oftern stick new out of the box

if you are going to use a sweedish strop, cut resistant lanyard... pull line make sure that it has a soft link to make sure in an emergency it can be cut away.

as for wd40 and Krabs the sticking and lubing issue is a hard one, graphite works well and is quite inert, but out on site it does not clean out too well, the advantage of things like wd40 etc is they can clean out debris fouling a gate on site, how ever the disadvantages relate to the interation of oils and the internal bushing used in Krabs as well as the fact they dont lubricate long term.

the best advice. warm water, washing up liquid, an air line and a lube reccomended by the manufacturer, more oftern than not graphite.

a final word if in doubt about what gear you should be using dont forget AFAG 401 and the guid to good climbing practice.

hope that helps

arbocop

funny thing advice

did the chap in the shop tell you not to use 3 way Krab, or did he advise you to avoid certain makes??

possably the latter... not all Krabs work with certain bits of kit (gear miss match is oftern overlooked and quite a problem in this industry) and some makes also have inherent issues with their operation, being moor prone to fouling and sticking than others. cant name makes really but most of us know through use that a certain companies Krabs oftern stick new out of the box

if you are going to use a sweedish strop, cut resistant lanyard... pull line make sure that it has a soft link to make sure in an emergency it can be cut away.

as for wd40 and Krabs the sticking and lubing issue is a hard one, graphite works well and is quite inert, but out on site it does not clean out too well, the advantage of things like wd40 etc is they can clean out debris fouling a gate on site, how ever the disadvantages relate to the interation of oils and the internal bushing used in Krabs as well as the fact they dont lubricate long term.

the best advice. warm water, washing up liquid, an air line and a lube reccomended by the manufacturer, more oftern than not graphite.

a final word if in doubt about what gear you should be using dont forget AFAG 401 and the guid to good climbing practice.

hope that helps

arbocop

That does help, thanks Arbocop.

he did not specify which krab it was or make. It sounded like he ment all 3 ways. will get some graphite powder thou.

Cerne, are you sure you heard him right about the 3-way carabiners? Find that a little hard to believe to be honest.

Jay, maillons are fine attachments, not so long ago they were commonly used! Perhaps the more modern approach is to use other methods of attachment, and maybe the college instructors are just being a little pedantic!

Cerne, are you sure you heard him right about the 3-way carabiners? Find that a little hard to believe to be honest.

Jay, maillons are fine attachments, not so long ago they were commonly used! Perhaps the more modern approach is to use other methods of attachment, and maybe the college instructors are just being a little pedantic!

i just like my mailon it does the job 3rd of the price of a 3 way and sits so much better than when on a karabiner. i also have a snap hook on the end of my flip line. so much nicer than a karabiner. would never have a 3 way karabiner on the end of it after using the snap hook.