Coming soon to a lock up near you

treebloke

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When all that crap started in sudan, My Dad with a team of other people working for the UN went over to get info on how they could know if mass geniside would happen and what are the key things that would set it off. They came up with a plan done documents but certain people choose not to listen and then what happened geniside, For along time my dad had changed nightmares of what he saw, frustration that action wasn't taken sooner. They were under armed guard everywhere they went had to be helli out because the janjweed were coming in where they were, i remember i use to get text messages on my phone giving me updates to say they were ok and then one saying evac. I call them stories dad calls them memories he said the people were fantasic there a kid died in his arms. Thats the people i feel sorry for not the ones with the guns they choose their path in life so they no the consequences.

Don't get me wrong i am greatfull that they want to go out there and fight to protect our country but its the job they choose, Sad they die yes I liked the bit on the news a while ago were there dad said i am proud of my son he's done his job and he knew the risks.

When all that crap started in sudan, My Dad with a team of other people working for the UN went over to get info on how they could know if mass geniside would happen and what are the key things that would set it off. They came up with a plan done documents but certain people choose not to listen and then what happened geniside, For along time my dad had changed nightmares of what he saw, frustration that action wasn't taken sooner. They were under armed guard everywhere they went had to be helli out because the janjweed were coming in where they were, i remember i use to get text messages on my phone giving me updates to say they were ok and then one saying evac. I call them stories dad calls them memories he said the people were fantasic there a kid died in his arms. Thats the people i feel sorry for not the ones with the guns they choose their path in life so they no the consequences.

Same story as Rwanda, Ian. If a country doesn't have anything that the big boys want, it's highly unlikely that aid will come until it's too late. With 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council, each of whom has the power of veto on the use of any given form of action, it generally means one country will stop anything being done. Afghanistan is a different matter, more of a punitive mission and on very shaky ground legally given that the action was justified using International Law permitting use of force against other states only in self-defence yet the target was Al Qaeeda which is not a state. Before anyone thinks I don't support our troops, let me set you straight, I support our troops 100%, and think they have a nigh on impossible job to do in difficult conditions with inadequate kit. The war is not of their making, they are just the poor sods having to fight it.

I read quite a few of the comments posted on youtube regarding this video - some quite intelligent and the usual crop of "yeah - owned" "yummy - Iraqi hamburger" etc.

What I found myself wondering was what the reaction would have been to the same video if the soundtrack was in Arabic and it was the Allied forces on the ground?

"cowardly murdering bastards" probably.......

But hey - it's not like the Iraqis are humans or someone's son or Dad or husband or anything is it?

Andy

I hear ya mate - and that's true. It's just a bit sad that people seem to consider humans such a throwaway item. There's loads of clips of the Americans doing all sorts of needless damage to civilians property and laughing about it. If it was on CCTV and they were dressed as chavs we'd all be up in arms wouldn't we? But they have a uniform and the victims are foreigners so it doesn't matter?

I'm not old enough to remember WW2 - but I've read a lot of stories concerning the respect that many (though not all - obviously) of the soldiers had for each other in that conflict. It seems that the Yanks seem to see the current situation as one big video game.

As I said - you could take almost any of these clips and change the soundtrack about and you'd get a completely different reaction - it would be "wrong" if it was happening to our guys.

I dunno - maybe I'm just getting old but I just think it's a bit sad when people think other people getting killed is funny.

Andy

Have to agree with you Andy. War is so far distanced from so many people now that it does just seem like a video game. The Americans disproportionate use of force in order to bring one of their 'own' back contrasts sharply with their almost total disregard for not just the enemy, but also non-combatant, casualties.

I had a school friend killed in the Falklands 'Conflict', and later worked with a Welsh guy who was there in the Royal Marines. He told me a really interesting tale relating to the voyage back after the war. ' The Sun ' had arranged to fly out some special 'Victory Ale' for the troops. This was the paper famous for its 'Gotcha' headline and all round Argi-bashing. Now these troops had met the Argi conscripts after the surrender and surprisingly found them to be similar to them in many ways. They also felt some sympathy for them, badly equipped , poorly trained and reluctant to be there. They certainly didn't recognise the picture ' the Sun ' was painting of them. So they decided that ' The Sun ' could stick its beer, and refused to drink it. Apparently, a fair bit of it is still at the bottom of the Atlantic.

This bloke had killed some poor sod in the war, and the effect on him was life changing. He left the Marines as soon as he could and later went into the care industry, looking after disabled kids on adventure holidays. He said that unless you'd experienced war first hand, you should never send anyone to one. Its easy to make gung ho comments from behind a keyboard, but an altogether different thing to experience first hand - something a few people would do well to remember.