Inteligent planting ??

Rupe

I have been workign on a construction site for a while now. They are doing lots of planting which is great. Then I notice these going in.....

I pinched a tag, I've deleted the company that ordered them but the rest is real!

Any thought about the wisdom of planting this species? There is already an abundance of the stuff all over the site, in fact I cut down any of it in my way!

Also, what would you pay for such an item?

tag.jpg.48fdf5109279085a810d1f57982d362c.jpg

Excellent for birds. Transition towns movements are also promoting anything that provides edible fruits. Also do make nice specimen trees if left alone in the right place. I have seen them with a diameter of 16 inchs.

I think its a bit ridiculous buying them in 20L pots especially if they are being planted at this time of year.

I'm ok for them being planted, they have good points and the site is very eco so where areas have been stripped for construction they are keen to replace with natural fast ground cover.

I can't say for certain that these are being planted now, they are in the compound for planting, but the site has at least 2-3 years left in construction. (it got slowed down abit this year due to recession)

The order was for 50. 34p would seem right, but no. Put it this way if I had gone out and dug up 50 trees pruned to 50cm and put them in pots, I could easily do that in a day and deliver them and I would get way more than double what I charge for turning up with loads of kit and doing tree work all day!

We have been doing some schemes that require native plants and wildlife beneficial species. Bird and bat boxes are also specified as well as loggeries for beetles.

This is so the buildings can claim points for the BREEM ratings, many new developments would not get of the ground unless they have sufficient credits. These can come from green roofs, efficient insulation or renewable energy technologies, and the Landscaping schemes etc.

It can get a bit ridiculous though. The ecologist on one job we did wanted 500metres of native hedging planted, sounds good except the site was 80m x 110m and areas left for planting amounted to 370m2:001_rolleyes: