Husky 560 chain pitch - .325 or 3/8?

jamallio96

I got a second hand husky 560xpg last year and have been running it on an 18" bar with .325 narrow kerf (.050 gauge) chain. The chain, bar and sprocket have all worn significantly which I figure is a combination of them being too light-duty for the power of the saw, and being husky brand (they're good for power heads but I've never heard anybody praise their guide bars or chains!)

So, would I be better off to get a .058 gauge .325 pitch bar and chain to preserve the advantages of a smaller chain (faster cutting, less load on engine, much better for ripping) or am I better off going for a 3/8 pitch, have it cut a bit slower but last a bit longer?

It's probably just a personal preference thing, but I thought it would be a good idea to enquire of the vast wisdom held by the members of Arbtalk! Also it's funny to watch you guys bicker over which thing works better xD

I have always ran mine on 3/8 the thing is the 562 is the exact same saw just with a longer crank and running gear designed for 3/8 and the larger bar mount ...that said I’ve never had any problems on 3/8s with the 560 despite its running gear being more designed for .325.

I even run my 550’s on 3/8 as well as it means I need one reel of chain for mid range up to 90cc saws.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, think I will stick with the original plan and go for .325 .058 with a Sugi pro lam bar (the pro light is a wee bit pricey for me at the moment, maybe when the pro lam wears out...)
Stubby, what's the deal with an 8 pin sprocket? I've heard the term bandied about a couple times but I'm not really sure what the dealio is, would you mind illuminating me? :-)
One last question, I'm assuming oregon chain is pretty much my best bet in terms of value for money, but are there any other suggestions?

The 560 will pull an 8 pin ( 7pin is standard )  especially on the shorter bars . You would sacrifice a little torque on longer bars and may bog . My 560 is modded and pulls the slightly higher gearing ( giving faster chain speed )  with no problems . The other good thing is standard driver count chain loops will still fit .