Makita ea 5000 husky 550

nemcc

Hi, I still can't decide whether to get a makita ea 5000 or another husky 550 this wOundle be my 4th in as many years (althugh

One did have a fight with a fowarder?).

i Like the 550 but only seam to last a year in full time forestry before pot and piston give up.

Anybody know about the makita? as my husky 372 is a bit overkill for first thinning and is a little old.

the problem is I’ve not come across a forestry contractor yet who uses XP oil in there 550s 560s etc. It comes down to cost the oils expensive so hence why they get a year out of them. The saws are normally coated in sap especially the cylinder cooling fins and inside the top cover. They do do the hours  but you need to give it half a chance. I’m sure the dolmars are good saws but they don’t handle like a 550. 

• Like 1

I have both. Had my 550 since 2012 and has only needed one brake band. exhaust is well drilled and runs 15" and 18" bars with 3/8th chain. Had the ea5000 just over a year. It is slightly heavier when you pick them up side by side, but that vanishes in use. The 5000 is a far smoother/ vibe free saw to use and I find it handles as well if not better than the 550. It felt slighly flat compared to the 550 at first, as it has no rev-boost, but it does rev well and I think it is slightly torquier. It runs a 3/8 chain just fine and I pick it up before the 550 now. 

• Like 1