Moving to Liskeard area in Cornwall- looking for work!

Will Ingleton

On 23/05/2018 at 22:40, Stubby said:

Isn't a proper Devon pastie called a " tiddieoggie "   (Spelling ) ?

On 23/05/2018 at 22:40, Stubby said:

Isn't a proper Devon pastie called a " tiddieoggie "   (Spelling ) ?

On 23/05/2018 at 22:44, Will Ingleton said:

I evidently have a lot to learn about pasties

‘Ere me ‘ansiomes:

http://www.cornishpasties.org.uk/tiddyoggy.htm

there is one particular “anomaly” which bears mention...

in Kernow that which in sane areas is called a swede, is referred to as turnip. 

PS that which is broadly recognised throughout the UK as turnip, is also (still) called - you guessed it - turnip!

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

6 hours ago, Will Ingleton said:

Is a crimp something different to a pasty? Or is it a 'style' of pasty with less pastry? I have a lot to learn it would seem!

Will, if you get nothing else sorted before you arrive, house, work, car, school for the bin lids.... For the love of God, do some boffing up on oggy-knowledge.

“Helluvagood” is a fairly recent arrival on the local scene at St Ive (just outside Liskeard) Pasties are mediocre but sausage rolls are the undisputed CHAMPIONS of the world and bacon/egg pie is a beaut!

• Haha 1

On 23/05/2018 at 22:33, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Are you an Ivor or a Ron man Alex? Wars have been fought and families divided over lesser issues, when Trump has finished the reunification of N / S Korea, word is, he’s heading to Devonport to try and reunify the Dewdney Bros! Word is there’s talk of a peace summit in neutral ground....  Estover is looking favourite with Keyham as a close second. 

Alex..... Ivor or Ron? It could affect how our interaction progresses in the future!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

‘Ere me ‘ansiomes:

http://www.cornishpasties.org.uk/tiddyoggy.htm

there is one particular “anomaly” which bears mention...

in Kernow that which in sane areas is called a swede, is referred to as turnip. 

PS that which is broadly recognised throughout the UK as turnip, is also (still) called - you guessed it - turnip!

I'm glad you said "sane areas", cuz we had potato and turnip mash now and again when we were kids..... It was swede for god sake!

6 hours ago, Will Ingleton said:

Is a crimp something different to a pasty? Or is it a 'style' of pasty with less pastry? I have a lot to learn it would seem!

Cornish crimp is a thick roll of pastry around the side- I believe so the miners could hold their pasties with filthy hands and eat their lunch. 

Devon being perhaps more the land of the ploughman rather rather than the miner put the crimp along the top of the pasty. There is no thick wedge of pastry, rather the sides are brought up together in a simple crimp. 

Of course all the above is irrelevant anyway as they are now saying the ‘cornish’ pasty originated from Devon anyway!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Cornish crimp is a thick roll of pastry around the side- I believe so the miners could hold their pasties with filthy hands and eat their lunch. 

Devon being perhaps more the land of the ploughman rather rather than the miner put the crimp along the top of the pasty. There is no thick wedge of pastry, rather the sides are brought up together in a simple crimp. 

Of course all the above is irrelevant anyway as they are now saying the ‘cornish’ pasty originated from Devon anyway!

There'll be hell on!  Protests at the bridge!!  The extremist, ultra Mebyon Kernow militant wing will be readying the blunderbuss!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I see myself as being a Devon crimpy sort of guy I think. Not fond of  too much pastry on it's own. I'm learning a lot here!

19 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Will, if you get nothing else sorted before you arrive, house, work, car, school for the bin lids.... For the love of God, do some boffing up on oggy-knowledge.

“Helluvagood” is a fairly recent arrival on the local scene at St Ive (just outside Liskeard) Pasties are mediocre but sausage rolls are the undisputed CHAMPIONS of the world and bacon/egg pie is a beaut!

I'll be indulging. Where would you recommend that's local for a real banger of a pasty then?