Not sure about this guys facts..

MattJordan

Went down to my local rock climbing store today to get some new base layers slings etc.. plus to grab a new climbing hat. Tried on a few including the Petzl Elios, Ecrin Roc and Black Diamond Half Dome.

After a fair bit of testing I decided on the Black Diamond offering, and also after seeing on the head of Steve Bullman when I did a few days work for him a while ago, was pretty sure it was up to spec. chose it cos its super light/comfy and also felt fairly well ventilated. Went up to the counter to pay and the clerk asked me what I activity I was planning on using it for, I mentioned I was a tree worker and was fed up with muffs so thought I would go for a high end hat. He the said that "The half dome is not designed for use as an idustrial hat along with all the others they stocked, only sport usage, the only hat validated for use is the 'Ecrin Best'. " This seems a bit odd to me as I have seen loads of people use the Elios and Ecrin Roc, aswell as a couple with the Black Diamond, What do you guys think?

halfdome_large2__58470.jpg

Thanks in advance , Matt.:001_smile:

Probably has something to do with BS EN numbers,

Rock climbing gear and industrial gear have differant standards.

Dont know about the insurance side of things to be honest. I suppose if things went tits up the insurance company would find a way of not parting with their money.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i would think a rock lid would be fine for competion/rec climbing.

But in a work situation... ...well its up to you.

Yes he is right as all helmets to be used in industry have to go through certain testing which understanably is carried out on sports equipment. in all probability the sports spec helmets will be fine and act in the same way as an industrial spec lid, however if an accident does occur and you are injured then any investigation will highlight your helmet spec and serious problems will arise including:

- insurance will be void

- open to prosecution for negligence, this could then lead to manslaughter etc etc.

You have to forget looking fancy and get a helmet which is approved for industrial use.

:thumbup:

It sside impact AND the harness type which is important. Husky lids do not have the straps so are not for climbing, the chin strap is next to useless.

I don't know about black diamond but Petzl helmets are for industrial access work as much as they are for rec/sport climbing. Unless they make a sport only version??

Vertex was designed for arborists and workign at height so if there is any doubt then that would be the one to go for.

As far as the guy working in the shop though Matt, I would reckon that you are more qualified in your work than he is in industrial access work, that why he works on the checkout!

I've had discussions in the past with outdoor shop workers when they ask what something is for. Years ago I used to like static rock rope to use as prussik loops, but if you mention that, you get a lecture about prussik loops must be 2/3rds or less of the size of the climbing rope etc etc, which may be true for single line self rescue but not for Ddrt, but of course they knew nothign about that.