Post Hole Borer

Treewolf

Looks like I will shortly need to acquire a post hole borer for a fencing job. Vehicle access is not practical so it will need to be the portable petrol type.

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a good machine and the best place to buy one (I will probably buy rather than hire since it seems like a useful tool to have). Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hopefully this won't start another Stihl vs Husky debate!!

Thanks.

you`d be better with a Boxer mini skid steer and auger to dig the holes, knocker to put posts in and leveller to back fill, carry the posts to sites etc. depends on access though. 35" wide machine.

And don't tell me Barry.............you just happen to know of someone with such a machine:sneaky2::001_tt2:

Looks like I will shortly need to acquire a post hole borer for a fencing job. Vehicle access is not practical so it will need to be the portable petrol type.

I wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a good machine and the best place to buy one (I will probably buy rather than hire since it seems like a useful tool to have). Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hopefully this won't start another Stihl vs Husky debate!!

Thanks.

BAZ now read the post again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh1:

i had a wee petrol borer. only had a 6" ogar tho but i found it usless no faster than a good heavy spade, always jammed on stones roots etc and tried to fling both of you's round,

by the time youd taken the oger out the ground half the soil had fallen back in the hole and the soil still needed to be shoveled up.

also in gardens, road sides or just genarly where you need to put fences up you can never be certen that your not going to hit cables or pipes etc.

id say youd be better with a power pack and breaker to get old concreate out

altho youl know your own job better and wither itl work for you

:001_smile:

Thanks for the advice guys. I planted the first few posts over the weekend to see how it went, and it was much easier digging by hand than I expected, so I reckon that that is the way to go.

I'll probably end up doing the rest after Christmas so as long as there isn't hard frost it shoudl be OK.