Same vs Massey?

spandit

57 minutes ago, spandit said:

What are spares like to get for them?

What for, Same? Not really sure because in the 4 years Iv had it it hasn’t needed a thing except filters etc. I have a Same dealer nearby who I got the tractor off- they reckon they can get parts in just as quickly as anything else. Same are no longer the oddball marque that they used to be in this country, now they’ve joined with Deutz I would consider them up there with the ‘standard’ brands. 

Could u not stick a set of twins on ur old tractor and sort of steer with the brakes if it really gets soft?

Sometimes surprising how good a light 2 wd tractor can be with a set of twin tyres on, usually so much lighter than the 4wd drive before u start.

I was on a big fencing job (think 8km of permant hill stock fence) and we ran all our wire and posts out and old stuff back in with an ancient old 2wd massey, a real heap of junk. Was so old it didn't have a pto but a big fly wheel at rear.

It just floated over the ground if u never filled the trailer to full, and the MF390 which had the post knocker on and twin wheels all round would sink in every hole it could find, was a real pain (but a big post chapper doesn't help)

On a similar note a local agri contractor 1 summer had to resort o using an ancient 2wd oader tractor to take his silage bales out off his own field, he usually runs big JD's but all sinking in and making a hell of a mess, the light ancient tractor managed to stay on top of the sod

Like someone has already said if the ground is soo wet ur going to make a big mess wot ever ur driving even with twins or 4wd, if possible better to wait if u can till better weather

In those sort of conditions a 4wd will get stuck just as easy as a 2wd as at least one other has said and of course you are panning the ground down.

Many years ago we bought a new 595 4WD,  one of the tractors on the shortlist was the SAME,   while it pulled almost as well it was far noiser and uncomfortable to drive, but that was maybe 40 years ago,  That 595 is still being used locally, I doubt the SAME would have lasted half as long,

If you can have a look at JD,  nice comfy tractors,  pull well, no engine liner cavitation issues but a decent 2850 is probably 9k so maybe over budget,  of your choices given they are both in the same condition with similar hours then it would be 595 for me,

A

As someone above said, it is ALL about the tyres,

even a single set of new oversized radials (and split and extend the rims if needs be, to accomodate the extra width),

running at 10/12/15 psi will dammned near float.

And yes if wishing to use a loader, you def need 4WD, with the larger diameter/width front wheels, to carry the weight over the front axle.

marcus

I know that in soggy ground I should just avoid going out at all but some parts of my fields have springs in them that aren't really apparent until you drive over them and start spinning the wheels. I suppose with fresher tread on my rears I might have less of a problem and taking my loader off would reduce the weight on the front (although might potentially cause balance problems with a heavy mower on the back). Was trying to lift the back of the Hilux up with the loader the other day to adjust the handbrake (was using axle stands too) and it couldn't cope with the weight - would like to have the ability to lift just over a tonne (full IBC) with 2 way rams so I can lift the front of the tractor to put stuff underneath the front wheels if I do get bogged down.