Looking for a decent cordless chainsaw

Matthew Storrs

4 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Never heard of it Gareth.  Where’s it from?

They’re a big American Company I think.  They’re producing 10million units a year so one of the biggest in the market - probably more than husq and Stihl in this field. It was Henton and Chattell disturbuting it to our area - their UK sales unit come over with all the range a few months ago. There were some really good features on the stuff and battery technology seemed more advanced than Stihl and Husq, but just need to know if anyone has used it for a longer period. Does it stick the pace at the sharp end of contracting? Battery life was much better than anything else on the market. 

Seems the Voltage of battery stuff keeps doubling 18v, 36v, 56v, now 120v etc

Oregon do some new 120v tools:

https://opereviews.com/landscaping/string-trimmers/oregon-120v-cordless-professional-series/

And in USA now selling 120v chainsaw:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Redback-18-in-120-Volt-Electric-Cordless-Chainsaw-106493/301978228

Does 120v mean alot more power than the  36v?

18 minutes ago, Stere said:

Does 120v mean alot more power than the  36v?

No.

Watts is the potential power. Amps x volts gives you the watts. But there may be limits of discharge rate. A higher voltage machine may work better or be kinder to the battery than a lower voltage model.

Lithium Ion batteries keep evolving at such a rate it's hard to compare as their characteristics can vary from brand to brand unless they are using the same cells.

I am no expert on electra-trikery so take the above with a pinch of salt 

Edited by Woodworks

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

No.

Watts is the potential power. Amps x volts gives you the watts. But there may be limits of discharge rate. A higher voltage machine may work better or be kinder to the battery than a lower voltage model.

Lithium Ion batteries keep evolving at such a rate it's hard to compare as their characteristics can vary from brand to brand unless they are using the same cells.

I am no expert on electra-trikery so take the above with a pinch of salt 

Yeah, I must admit I’m almost completely lost now- Iv spent most of the day trying to work out how the voltage rating effect the power of the saw. Some saws claim 80v, yet have a tiny 2ah battery, surely it’d be flat within minutes?

From my research so far I think Makita is the best value for money with the added bonus that loads of other tools can run off the same batteries. Top of the range Husky 526Li with a 36v 9.4ah battery would probably be my first choice if I was intending to replace a petrol saw with it. But I have a 550xp so would always use that if I had a lot to do. The Makita will be ideal for fencing and clearing the odd tree I reckon.

I've been using Makita tools for a number of year, ranging from their drills and other DIY tools to chainsaws and hedgecutters.  As a brand I think they are excellent and rarely get the slagging off that some of the bigger brands seem to.  I'd have no qualms giving their battery tools a try if I was in the market

10 hours ago, Gareth Dalzell said:

Anybody tried any of the EGO battery powered stuff. We’d a demo of the whole range, strimmer, mower, chainsaw, blower and it seemed great on the day but would like to know if anyone had tried it for longer?

Great battery set-up, charging system and massive range of options.

Did a bit of googling.  They are funny looking things and a bit plasticky looking for my liking also.  Price seems good though

10 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Get the radio and use a thermos :D

Makita DAB radio are so good. I am on Dewalt but the radio is not as good. 

Yes I agree- I think in practise I can’t be doing with the faffing around off the coffee machine much as I like the idea! Shame they don’t do a sandwich toaster- wouldn’t say no to one of them at work.

would you say the radio is pretty resistant to water- not pouring rain but could I use it in the mizzle?

• Like 1