new arb first aid kit on the market from an Arbtalker

slasherscot

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been waiting for a product like this for years and just decided to get off my arse and do it properly myself.

I'm trying to get the complete case in for around £290. I just took an order for Edinburgh City Council, but can ship cases in around 6 - 8 weeks starting in the new year if anyone's interested. I appreciate the feedback from fellow arborists so might try organise a discount for arbtalk members willing to come back to me with their experiences and suggestions etc. Also, pictures of chainsaw wounds would be great for the training that Arb Aid will be providing.

We're just fine-tuning the website and working on a few other things that could be interesting additions...

Give me a call or an e-mail if you're looking for more info.

Cheers,

Greig :biggrin:

Also, pictures of chainsaw wounds would be great for the training that Arb Aid will be providing.

Theres a thread knocking about somewhere with exactly that.

Some pics arent for the faint hearted though!:scared1:

Nice kit BTW:thumbup1:

I know we should all have first aid training anyway but is there a special type required to use the CAT tourniquet?

And first aid training will show you that this sort of kit is not necessary. HSE requirements are for one small green first aid case. If you buy this kit you would need the small green HSE kit as well because that is what any trained bystander would look for and use, and there are additional items in this kit (tourniquet for starters) that are not allowed in your (hse) first aid kit (ok in secondary kit)

You are more likely to have an accident driving a car than you are at work and since the whole nation doesn't carry a kit like this then there is no need for it.

As an industry we need to practice rescue more and think less about spendign money on extra kit. We have an emergency service that can do that sort of thing. Havign a proper rescue drill and knowing where you are is far more important.

In the other thread about a climber dying, it wasn't lack of expensive first aid kit that killed him!! In most cases a lift to hospital will sort it out, in worse cases stopping/slowing bleeding is important ( you don't need to spend £290 for that) and in really bad situations, broken limbs, internal bleeding, unconcousness etc. a first aid kit is actually not much use at all. Keep them still comfy warm talking if possible etc and get the ambulance there asap.

First aid is about common sense and improvisation as much as, if not more than, the equipment you have, and what you don't do is also as important as what you do do. IMO

Hi Rupe,

Thanks for taking the time to post!

And first aid training will show you that this sort of kit is not necessary. HSE requirements are for one small green first aid case. If you buy this kit you would need the small green HSE kit as well because that is what any trained bystander would look for and use, and there are additional items in this kit (tourniquet for starters) that are not allowed in your (hse) first aid kit (ok in secondary kit)

I do believe that current first aid kits do not fulfil the requirements of an arborists, so much so that i designed my own kit using all my experience in the industry, in the hope of giving arborists the best kit possible whilst covering every eventuality and more!! If the hse have it so spot on why are they not recommending compression bandages that the military and many other industry's use for stemming an arterial bleed. I might be corrected hear but since the new first aid regs came in on the 1st of October, does it not now require people in dangerous industry's to have first aid training which covers the specific potential injurys in that industry e.g chainsaw wounds!? amongst other things of course!!

To be honest if i just had an accident at work and i just cut through an artery in my forearm i don't think i would want your average passer by anywhere near me because i would know that the people i work with are very familiar with everything in the kit and how to use it.That should be the case with any first aid kit of course.

And in this case a tourniquet is the first bit of kit i would be using, the fact that a tourniquet can prevent you from bleeding out, which can take as little as 3 min from an arterial bleed, an ambulance could realistically be 20 min away,worst case but it could happen, which for me means it's a must for any arborist,

Anyone can go and buy a tourniquet on the net, and its a much better alternative to a shoe lace, which WILL cause tissue damage and possible amputation. and it might be the irrational option one faces when put under that kind of pressure when your friend is bleeding to death,

The story's of possible amputation with tourniquet use are true to some extent but that is where the tourniquet has been in place for several hours and only in the very worst cases, feedback from Afghanistan states soldiers view it as one of there most precious pieces of kit they have!!

Ambulance service in London has just taken delivery of the C.A.T Tourniquets.

You are more likely to have an accident driving a car than you are at work and since the whole nation doesn't carry a kit like this then there is no need for it.

I think those stats are for office workers!! but very true indeed.

As an industry we need to practice rescue more and think less about spendign money on extra kit. We have an emergency service that can do that sort of thing. Havign a proper rescue drill and knowing where you are is far more important.

You are spot on hear m8, contingency planning is a must, regular training/practise sessions with team members covering the full drill of potential accidents,aerial rescue the full lot, which a lot of company's do not do as much as they should. But for that one time an accident might happen i bet you wish you had an Arb Aid kit close by!:001_smile:

In the other thread about a climber dying, it wasn't lack of expensive first aid kit that killed him!! In most cases a lift to hospital will sort it out,

It did not sort him out thats for sure, but the right person with the right kit and knowledge could have saved him! just a thought.......

Thanks for all your encouragement and kind words folks very much appreciated,

And to all the people i spoke to at the trade fair, it was great talking to everyone , all the great feedback that i received over the 2 days was immense, it gave me enough confidence in my project to move forward and turn it into something the industry might get behind, keeping arborist safe!!

Thanks