Transition to self employed (wages etc)

Carl1991

Thirty miles!, is this the problem?

I regularly do two hundred miles in a days subbing to get decent money.

On the other hand, try to get Mr Johnson to go out of his own village and he'll be writing to his local MP.

There is a big chunk of money spent making your £200 plus day rate
At government mileage rates that £90.

If you work within 15-20 miles £150 won’t seem so bad

Until you know how I work. I charge a small rate that covers running my van on top of my day rate. It's a low rate for mileage for the particular company I'm talking about because they have looked after me. I worked on their books for a short while and they treated me well, When I went on my own they gave  me enough of a cushion to not worry too much If the phone didn't ring. They don't do any domestic work now, they pass on my number, very good of them I think, also they understand that I've got to get a decent living, and I'm willing to put myself out for them.

Until you know how I work. I charge a small rate that covers running my van on top of my day rate. It's a low rate for mileage for the particular company I'm talking about because they have looked after me. I worked on their books for a short while and they treated me well, When I went on my own they gave  me enough of a cushion to not worry too much If the phone didn't ring. They don't do any domestic work now, they pass on my number, very good of them I think, also they understand that I've got to get a decent living, and I'm willing to put myself out for them.

Fair play. Doing that kind of mileage deserves a good rate anyway!
There was a time I’d do 100 mile round trip a day but no longer viable as my work day is only 6 hours (part time I know but suits me as I like collecting kids from school everyday)
Besides that I hate driving these days so a 3 mike radius for me!

7 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Thirty miles!, is this the problem?

I regularly do two hundred miles in a days subbing to get decent money.

On the other hand, try to get Mr Johnson to go out of his own village and he'll be writing to his local MP.

Don’t live in a village Mr ??, we’me out out on us own so there’s less chance of me upsetting the neighbours!!  But yome right, >20miles away makes me twitch!!  Gotta go over the river Sunday for TKD grading but should be able to slip out and back before lunchtime, unless they bleddy Plymuff beys have the wheels off!!

Sweating a bit over Richard’s suggestion that 6 hrs is part time.... I’d be considering that as OVER time not PART time!!

7 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Until you know how I work. ..... They don't do any domestic work now, they pass on my number, very good of them I think, also they understand that I've got to get a decent living, and I'm willing to put myself out for them.

This is another reason why your statements re day rates don't fit with the freelance climber model. You sound like a genuine sub contractor, called to do a job in your own way on your own and willing to travel to do it.

Most freelance climbers (I use) are relatively local, turn up at 8 am with climbing kit and top handle saw, travel to the job site in a works vehicle (up to an hour each way) and leave at 430, with the rest of the team and they normally have a team leader telling them what to do onsite.

It is very different level of responsibility from being emailed a job sheet, driving 200 miles and running the job.

• Like 2

Does anybody on here earn £200 a day just for climbing???
Most I've ever heard of is £175.
I'm a groundy with ten years experience, all the saws, van, insurance,kit etc.
Trying to get £130 a day.
Keep getting offered £80-£100.
I regularly drive halfway across the country for a few days work.
I'd earn more in fecking McDonald's.
At least half the "tree surgeons" I've worked for don't know sh*t about what they're doing, just how to make lots of money and pay staff sh*t.
Like factories get em in young and cheap, beast them and wear them out.
This industry has to change.

• Like 1