Another Blade failure

Scott Farmborough

From memory....One of the Bolts has a washer with a flat face on it,this orintates towards the feed roller housing.I wonder if the bolt is done up withour the washer correctly placed,the washer could be on an angle and loosening of the bolt might be a matter of time?

Could have been the case....not sure.

I have faith in the guy doing it now, he knows the machine inside out.

Hes names Charles at Arbrep, had many years experience at Redwood and now gone it alone.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's your problem right there, there's no good reason why you should be changing blades every 10-15 hours, ruining the threads mate. Slackening. tightening etc. Why are you changing the blades so frequently?

Black and decker powerfile for the lower roller, go in through the hopper and go light on both sides just to get a sharp edge.

Imo you cant change the blades enough....as for bolts its not an issue because they are replaced every third blade change! as they are cheap.

It wasnt blade failure that caused the problem it was the bearing that came loose and forced the blade into the anvil!!

Could have been the case....not sure.

I have faith in the guy doing it now, he knows the machine inside out.

Hes names Charles at Arbrep, had many years experience at Redwood and now gone it alone.

I was really just thinking out loud.

I getmy parts off Charles,excellent service and a top guy.

• 4 weeks later...
Jensen 528, second time within about nine months...this time its blown the two bearings to bits, the anvill is in bits and the flywheel has the fins bent round...all in about £1200 worth of damage, right before Chistmas:thumbdown:

I couldnt be more of a tart with my machine....i really watch what i put through it, always sharp blades...cleaned before put in and everything torqed up to manufacterers spec.

In all of my 17 years of tree work and having used every make and model of machine it has to happen to mine twice....am i just unlucky?

so its not a machine fault,its down to a maintenance issue change blade bolts every 2 times as they are only cheap. imo we had more probs with a t/w 35/150 than jenson530s and we run 3 of these.

Only issue I've had with the 528 is the fuel tank which I drained and cleaned last week after getting fed up with constantly blocked fuel filters. The filth that came out it was unbelievable.

Did you /are you getting brown sludge in your fuel tank? If so it sounds very much like thisDe-Bug TM for boats1 and you can buy additives for it that you put in the tank when you fuel up for very little money such as index.html which sorts it out.:001_smile: