My splicing attempts

old snake

Awesome thread.

I'v had about 2.5m of cut off life line in the bottom of my bag for ages. So bent up a wire hanger & off i went.....but now im stuck half way.

Has any one spliced marlow gecko? Iv formed the eye & buried the cover half way to where the core comes out. But now i cant get my coat hanger fid between the core & the outer yarns :confused1:

a few checks first.

you'll have the core marked up where it exits the rope yeah?

you'll be untieing that knot soon yeah?

you'll be making a new fid with a closed eye / loop on the end for attaching to something.

i'd say insert the fid and slide it up the rope being very careful not to snag any strands (core or cover) you can massage the rope, i find that pulling the core out further will help to pull the fid up (the mark on the core will allow you to bury it properly). Once you've got the fid out the crossover point insert the tail of the splice into the fid and pull it until it's about to enter the crossover of the splice. attach the loop of the fid to something really heavy and pull the eye and milk the splice. it's easier to pull the rope over the tail than pull the tail through teh splice.

hope that helped a bit

Jamie

Cheers Jamie

Yes iv marked up the core & i only put that knot there to stop the cover unraveling too much.

As for the fid with a closed eye, would that still be made out of a coat hanger. because i dont think i'll be able to get it to fit through the overlap section.

i was contemplating trying to get some throw line through and using it as a noose...:confused1:

Cheers for the help

Dan

Oh & the chin up bar has now doubled as a splicing anchor:thumbup1:

Edited by onelab

• 1 month later...

Onelab, I will be splicing that Marlow rope tomorrow, I'm not looking forward to it, OK, get yourself some piano wire to make a fid or buy one from Nod, much thinner diameter = much easier.

Edit, the other thing you can try, which I had to do on some old XTC a couple of days ago, is not to do the final bury in one go, try to do it in two, this makes for far less friction, also tapering the cover tail slightly more, when you've got the fid through, will also help in the final bury.

Dave, the Fly splice is an ugly brute.

Edited by High Scale