My splicing attempts

old snake

Thanks chaps. One of my mates is throwing together a mechanical advantage kit for assisted felling. He was talking about anchoring the system off with a fisherman's knot (not on my watch!) and the knot got in the way so this splice stops the pinto being taken out of the kit and just tidies it all up a bit. 16 strand used as it was cheap and matched the Pinto!

• 2 weeks later...

1485471496592.jpg.6407dd2eb1679653a96bfba3c707906e.jpg

Hi all. Just did a e2e splice other day in the teufelberger softline 8mm. Was kind of hard to make the final step, had to repeat like 10 times hitting the splice with a plastic hammer.

Anyone knows what would be the minimum lenght of the cord between splices? I end up with a 70cm/28inch cord.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Arbtalk mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I never spliced boa but I made a couple ones in a similar rope. I can say the sirius construction (I spliced the 12mm rigging) is easier. And usualy the bigger diameter rope are easyer. Try a piano wire or something like that. I use cooper wire and enven in 16strand it works fairly good

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Arbtalk mobile app

Hi, Moderate success in the fact that Ive had some failures and some success, more and more of the latter thankfully!

Problems with the sirius include, the jacket having more strands making it hard to pull the core back into the jacket, and the usual difficulties in the Y of the splice, doesn't seem to be enough room for everything to fit, although both times ive tried sirius (12 &14mm) the ropes had already been loaded.

I'm currently using 1mm piano wire.

We'll see how it goes, more practice needed I think!

One small question: Can you guys share how to made the last taper in the core and the cover strands in 16 strand rope splice?

I did 16strand splices following the samson pdf's, one got a small "bump" in the area were the tapered cover and the taper core sits, meaning they still "overlap" too much. I can't see it but sliding with the hand I can feel a small bump.

I'm starting a xtc I had for a strop and I'm thinking about the samson instructions: there is 11" for the cross over, were core and cover tail overlap, then for the taper they say to taper 6"1/2 from the exit point. That's what people using?

Sorry for bad english.