Wood pellets instead of road salt

kevinjohnsonmbe

Gents,

If the UK wide roads maintenance "Council" operations are a badly run and staffed and executed as here in Northern Ireland, no bloody odds.

Despite the glaring obvious problem with an annual financial year ending at the end of March, which results in monies being hoarded for about 9 months, until the worst of the winter is passed, then funds need to be spent in Feb March, which results in Bituminous Macadam being laid in on cold wet roads, which results in a lower quality(and probably not to  the pertinent British Standard specification) job that is guarenteed not to last.

Senior Staff lack the brains or will to change their financial year end, to say the end of Sept.

Then year end money could be spent during the summer months, in better weather, for a higher quality job  with longer hours of daylight, for safer working.

Plus, the disgracefully few kerbs DoE staff ever laid in a working day, & witnessed with my own eyes, compared to private sector workers.

etc

etc

etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I'm struggling a bit with your logic KC!

Every time salt has been spread this winter it's been followed by rain. Anything that has been put on the road has just made it's way off it just as quick. - so it is wholly ineffective as well as environmentally damaging (pointless & bad.)  I've got some small piles of disintegrated pellets in the yard that have been there since Nov.  Granted, not heavy traffic but they are still there, not washed away, not dissolved, not even moved!

As for chip, it'll make its way to the side of the road and just turn to sloppy mud and because it wouldn't then be clean up regularly would cause accidents  - you mean like all the leaves, debris, farm vehicle mud, hedge cuttings etc that already constitute road side detritus that isn't cleaned up, but oddly doesn't seem to lead to accidents?  I know that's a tricky point to try and advance and I'm not suggesting that adding to an existing problem is necessarily a sound proposal, rather that I don't really see the counter argument that it might cause an increase in accidents as being a particularly sound one.

The whole focus seems to be on the potential negatives associated with the proposal rather than a balance of the "bad" that currently exists with salt, measured against the potential reduction in efficiency (of pellet as compared to salt) most of which could be ameliorated if the will existed.  Example, the roads could be swept after the application of pellets (when warm weather comes.)

Of course its not a 100% solution for all roads for the reasons of surface drainage BOD that Mr & Mrs Eggs & Marcus have illustrated, but maybe some roads, some of the time?  Aprroach it like some of the other "bad" things we do (drinking, smoking, fatty foods, sugar, speeding, too much time on AT etc etc....) cutting them out all together is probably not achievable - but reduction is good.... 

But oddly doesn't lead to accidents!

Have a search for 'Farmer prosecuted for leaving mud on road'.

Leaving mud, hedge cuttings or any other crap on the road is illegal.

Thats why farmers always clear mud from the road during/after each working day.

17 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Falling off chair with broken ribs......

That was the logic that I think was being lost.....

It's already there (in a different form) so the argument that there would be a quantum leap in fatac's is hardly credible...  Mrs E like the PM??  :D 

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Falling off chair with broken ribs......

That was the logic that I think was being lost.....

It's already there (in a different form) so the argument that there would be a quantum leap in fatac's is hardly credible...  Mrs E like the PM??  :D 

Ah, I never passed the message on. You should have a reply now.

Do the farmers actually clear the mud up round your way?
They seem to do it on a Friday if at all round here!