Walnut cause heave?

James Atkinson

Just now, Gary Prentice said:

Not at all, being married I accept that I’m wrong 100% of the time.

If I admit my opinion is wrong half the time about Arb stuff I still feel like I’m winning! :thumbup:

Your a fountain of knowledge Gary !  just pulling your pisser xD

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

We were told at college that the lecturer had questioned the accuracy of geological maps at a BGS/subsidence seminar, only to be informed that they may accurate to +/- 20 miles. 

I wouldn't state accuracy of a geology map as +/- 20 miles; that suggests that they are accurate but that the position may be out. That is misleading. You have to understand how the data was gathered in the first place (initially just observations from outcrops/road and railway excavations but enhanced by borehole records) and what newer information has been collected that has modified/confirmed findings. Also that sampling can be at very different intensities: thus the whole route of the M25 is well documented from boreholes; go 100 metres away from the M25 and there can be next to nothing, other than from observation of the soil. Considering that materials were dumped by glaciers, rainfall, rivers, sea and man have moved stuff around for a long time there is no reason to suppose that the nice lines of a geology map represent exactly what is around street by street.........

As for heave, it is primarily a problem for NHBC where new houses/foundations are constructed on recently cleared land. I wouldn't worry about staged removals for the reasons described. As for whether an old walnut is removed, if the tree has to be removed (or if a tree dies or if it is dangerous) you have little choice - it has to be removed. Make sure the owner has appropriate insurance for heave! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jon Heuch said:

I wouldn't state accuracy of a geology map as +/- 20 miles; that suggests that they are accurate but that the position may be out. That is misleading. You have to understand how the data was gathered in the first place (initially just observations from outcrops/road and railway excavations but enhanced by borehole records) and what newer information has been collected that has modified/confirmed findings. Also that sampling can be at very different intensities: thus the whole route of the M25 is well documented from boreholes; go 100 metres away from the M25 and there can be next to nothing, other than from observation of the soil. Considering that materials were dumped by glaciers, rainfall, rivers, sea and man have moved stuff around for a long time there is no reason to suppose that the nice lines of a geology map represent exactly what is around street by street.........

I'll raise this with Dave Dowson next time we speak Jon. I think that I remember the conversation in the classroom, with someone even asking for the name of the speaker from, I assume, BGS. But I take your point. I generally start with the maps and then look for more confirmation from the nearby borehole records that may be available.

Ultimately, you can't beat trial pits and lab testing to be sure (The oak on the front cover of Gile's book is prime example of the unknowns below ground level.)

PS Stubby, I'm wrong again:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1