Chainsaw Trousers & Electric Chainsaws

Eglwyseg

5 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Chainsaw protection is for chainsaws....
The chain can't tell the difference....
Electric saws i.e.: skil saws, circular saws, band saws etc are not chainsaws.
Ergo...
See Mick Dempsey's comment.
emoji106.png

That is what I meant when I referred to Common sense  .......

• Like 1

Really

2 minutes ago, adw said:

The problem with many electric chainsaws is there is a lot on inertia in the armature even when the power is cut, ironically there is more chance of an electric saw penetrating the trousers than a petrol equivalent.

Let’s get the terminology right, battery saws or mains powered saws.

Either way the chain stops faster than on petrol saws.

• Like 1

Not so, if you have a mains electric saw with the armature set at 90 degrees to the bar and chain the inertia of the armature keeps the rotation of the chain going, we had to stop using the electric chainsaw to demonstrate the leg material as on occasions it would penetrate all layers

Hi

Your post refers to a Wikipedia article, the text: "Protection is only given for gas (petrol) chain saws, not for electrical saws" to me, is slightly ambiguous in that it refers to an electric saw, not specifically an electric chain saw. Although the article title is chain saw safety clothing.

I looked at Husqvarnas website for their 536Li battery powered saw, as I dont have an electric saw and the chain speed quoted is 20 m/s. To me, 20m/s is 20m/s wether its electrical or petrol, I take the point that an armature contains mass & thus kinetic energy when its spinning, but so will a petrol driven flywheel. Edit: I agree with Mick D - the chain stops faster with an electric chainsaw of the ones Ive witnessed in use than a petrol one.

I would obtain the relevant clothing for the chain speed of your saw and if it really bothers you, go up a class.  In addition, practise safe working procedures to minimise the risk of an accident in the first place.

Edited by NFG

Electric motors can be wound in such a way as to give you a " dead stop " ( I believe there is a small amount of current sent the opposite way through the armature giving a braking effect ). With a petrol/gas saw you get a coasting chain when you let go the trigger . With an electric motor wired this way you don't get a coasting chain . you get a dead stop .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

Do you really think a chainsaw manufacturer would design a saw so that standard PPE was not effective? Especially when many do there own PPE. 

Chainsaw PPE has to pass testing for it to be approved and is rated for chainspeed not petrol engine or electric. It is tested on rigs as well as a saw. 

Any fool can write a Wikipedia article. In the academic world Wikipedia doesn’t exist. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sveriges said:

Do you really think a chainsaw manufacturer would design a saw so that standard PPE was not effective? Especially when many do there own PPE. 

Chainsaw PPE has to pass testing for it to be approved and is rated for chainspeed not petrol engine or electric. It is tested on rigs as well as a saw. 

Any fool can write a Wikipedia article. In the academic world Wikipedia doesn’t exist. 

Agree entirely, as a lot of it is dross!

• Like 1