Laser measuring

caledonian bob

Yes, Laserace Hypsometer as well. Its what we used when measuring trees for the Tree Register (TROBI) and then compared laser heights against climbed heights - it was usually with 0.5 to 1m, even on a 200' tree - you have to calibrate and set it up properly though and get best results from a tripod. Have never really used the other features - must have a proper play sometime.

Do you think using this type of equipment is cost effective. Does it increase your work rate enough to justify the cost. Don't really have much experience with them but would be interesting to see a study on it. Something for the FdSc Arbs maybe Mark?

I've got a Disto D8, it can measure heights without having to get a reflection off the top, but can also be used for distances in 5837 surveys etc.

Leica DISTO ™ D8: UK supplier of Leica DISTO ™ measures: DISTO A2, DISTO A3, DISTO D3, DISTO A5, DISTO D5, DISTO A6, DISTO A8, DISTO D8, Leica Lino L2 and Leica Roteo 35

I'm not sure its much better then my estimations for tree heights, as it's difficult to know where the top of the tree is. The D8 is the only model with the 360 degree tilt, needed for indirect measurements.

Use a tape for DBH stuff, have been known to fire a throw line over the top, use a bit of trigonometry. Do a climbing VTA and drop a throw line from the top. knots in the line every 10m. If charging £350 for a climbing VTA i need to justify my cost, got to get my feet off the ground. Cannot be bothered with the hypsometer, inclinometer. Other option, bit of wood, know length walk away and Roberts ya dads brother, well sometimes. If climbing i get to see what the tree is hiding or knot.