Stihl 170 v 181

Billhook

You obviously work much harder than I do billpierce!

Had a good few years carving full time with them....dont get me wrong I think they are great little saws for the money. Just hard thinking of going back to one once you have tasted the sweet sweet amber of a good 200!

My local builders merchants was doing a special on them earlier this year were about 130 140 or something. Sounds like your better sticking with 170s than 181s

14 hours ago, Billhook said:

The barsteward has returned my old 170 with the 16 inch bar.  (just borrowed it for a small job hope you didn't mind!).I now have the two together and I see that the bars and chains are identical, both picco same size.

1.3mm Gauge
3/8" Pitch
55 Drive Links

.The old 170 with sharp but worn teeth went straight through a fourteen inch ash log whereas the new 181 bogged down and would not even look at it.

I cannot work out if it is the clutch or the engine or both.  The chain stops turning as soon as the bar enters the wood fully and the engine bogs down.

Something not right with the 181 then. 

A bit of a coincidence - i was checking a rebuilt 171 today. Needed a bar and chain so i borrowed the one off my 170, and took the chance to compare the two saws.  The 171 has a misfire at peek rpm,  coil i think,  but it was still quicker in the cut than the 170. Wood  varied in sized but upto 10 ", same bar and chain.  A 181 should be a step forward.

Edited by bmp01
....damned auto correct.... again.... coincidence was confidence

10 hours ago, bmp01 said:

Something not right with the 181 then. 

A bit of a confidence - i was checking a rebuilt 171 today. Needed a bar and chain so i borrowed the one off my 170, and took the chance to compare the two saws.  The 171 has a misfire at peek rpm,  coil i think,  but it was still quicker in the cut than the 170. Wood  varied in sized but upto 10 ", same bar and chain.  A 181 should be a step forward.

Like a lot of things in arb work and indeed life itself, there is a world of difference between "should have"  and "did" !

12 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Like a lot of things in arb work and indeed life itself, there is a world of difference between "should have"  and "did" !

Yes I dont rate my 181. It's known as the gutless wonder but it it's handy for small jobs. Doing some hedge laying today so it I will get an outing but for most work I reach for the 346.

Reading your earlier post did you get your nicked saw back? 

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

Yes, well, that's the same the world over. 

But my point: 181 is basically a 171 with a tiny bit bigger piston  (same stroke). If a clapped out 171 out cuts a 170 then a 181 will too. The 211 is the one to have though in this class of saw, biggest engine in the same saw frame.

Edited by bmp01

1 hour ago, dan494 said:

Best little saw in the price range is the husqvarna 135. Under £170 delivered and 40cc. Got a 14 inch bar on mine and will cut anything you like 

I would agree with you on this but others don't. I cut a couple of tons of wood with mine yesterday, all different species and sizes up to 12" thick but there are some who have trouble starting and complain of the hardware wearing out quickly.

25 minutes ago, peatff said:

I would agree with you on this but others don't. I cut a couple of tons of wood with mine yesterday, all different species and sizes up to 12" thick but there are some who have trouble starting and complain of the hardware wearing out quickly.

Cant speak to longevity as only had mine a few months. The fist thing i did was it was cutting beech up to bar length and it flew through it (for its size) as far as i can gather its the exact same saw as the 435 except the clutch and transparent tank section. I think its the best bargain ground saw out there, i pick it up over my 550xp tbh!

6 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Yes I dont rate my 181. It's known as the gutless wonder .

Reading your earlier post did you get your nicked saw back? 

Interesting you found the 181 to be gutless.  Did the chain end up not rotating like mine or did it just cut slower?

The 170 with the 16 inch bar was not nicked after all just"borrowed".  and "I hope you don't mind" borrowed and put back where I did not find it for ages.

However it did give me a clear comparison with the 181 which on paper should be better.

I also had those lousy fuel and oil fillers on the 181 which are really fiddly and easy to cross thread and knacker.  The oil filler one is in such a position that the handle of the saw is in the way of the flip up device.  you can undo the old screw type fillers with the Stihl spanner/screwdriver with gloves on but these ones no way.

I am blissfully happy with the performance of the 170s.  They are light, easy to start, do the jobs I want to do and more.

From leaf blowers to hedge trimmers to log grabs I have always been impressed with Stihl tools but the 181 seems to be a bit of a dud.  I shall give it one more chance when it comes back and report here possibly with a video of the two together.

When I was in the shop I bought a new chain for the 170 16 inch bar and we gave the saw a good clean and adjustment and it goes better than ever.  There seems to be little difference between the cutting speed of the 16 inch 170 and the 12 inch 170.