What Oak?

SamWhiting12

1 hour ago, SamWhiting12 said:

Think your oak is sweet chestnut

Dead easy to process as cuts and splits brilliantly.

Now the bad bit. Hellish heavy when wet and very slow to dry. Light when dried and had mutterings from customer about it as it burns with little flame and does not give off much heat. If you got a lot of it in the load and you have paid proper hardwood money for it have a mutter in the suppliers ear as its £10 a tonne cheaper than hardwood around here and thats too much IMO. Had a fight once with Euro about a whole pile of it in a load but managed to get a part refund.

Edited by Woodworks

You may have a good point. The reason I thought it was oak was because there was lots of tannin visible when splitting the wood, but I have now learnt there's tannin in most woods but their levels vary across species. You learn something new everyday.

Ive brought back some wood to burn on the fire, if there is a fireworks display then I will take that it is sweet chestnut. 

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Works for me !

Really?

Honest to god it's the worst wood IME and dread it turning up on a load. Euro charge £10 less a tonne so it cant be that great. Only times we have had complaints is when the customers have had chestnut and thats after we have dried it for 2 years. "dont bring me any more of that yellow muck" was one of the responses. I dry it separately as it takes so long and then only put a bit in any load and even then only for customer I am prepared to lose.

Anything straight I now put aside for fence posts as is at least good for that

Edited by Woodworks

1 minute ago, Woodworks said:

Really?

Honest to god it's the worst wood IME and dread it turning up on a load. Euro charge £10 less a tonne so it cant be that great. Only times we have had complaints is when the customers have had chestnut and thats after we have dried it for 2 years. "dont bring me any more of that yellow muck" was one of the responses. I dry it separately as it takes so long and then only put a bit in any load and even then only for customer I am prepared to lose.

I burn all the old s.ch fence posts I come across . They seem to burn fine in my stove .