35 minutes ago, john p said:

What is the long term outlook for the AA, does it rely on more people signing up to its accreditation scheme? As mentioned earlier it’s not in a strong financial position, can it carry on as it is or will it have to water down its standard s to get more firms on board to sustain itself? And if it did go under where would it leave the accredited contractors? Just thinking out loud after a couple of gins!

"Let the story be-Gin" eh? 9_9

Absolutely NO intention to "water down" the standards as that really wouldn't benefit anyone AND existing ArbACs would likely jump ship, understandably, so it'd be a bad thing all round.

However, we do need to continue to grow the scheme by both attracting new members and, being completely honest, reducing the relative high attrition rate of the last couple of years (albeit for very varied reasons including no-one (domestically) asking for ARB Approved...very frustrating but, TBH, not surprising (NOT to say we don't need to try to do more, of course we do and we will.))

Lastly, yeah, 'surplus' is slim, but turnover is good, and growing, and no intentions to go / disappear anywhere..

.at least for the foreseeable.

Cheers John,

Paul

• Like 1

So, Pitlochry (if that's suitable) w/c 19th March I'm happy to do a couple of days mid-week, in conjunction with the Scotland Branch, but my range of courses is limited to ArbAC Preparation Workshop (MANDATORY) / AA Risk Assessment for Commercial Arb. / BS3998 (with CODIT update) / Basic Tree Survey & Inspection (not necessarily at the most 'basic' level) / ARB Knowledge.

Would this be viable do you think and anybody know a suitable venue in / around Pitlochry?

Thanks all,

Paul

PS No "GIN" involved...albeit I do like a drop of Plymouth!

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)
Additional wording,

I and at least one employee would be keen for the 3998 and the risk assessment one. Why Pitlochry? Still over 2hrs away, much better but why not inverness at the college ?

1 minute ago, Andymacp said:

I and at least one employee would be keen for the 3998 and the risk assessment one. Why Pitlochry? Still over 2hrs away, much better but why not inverness at the college ?

Trying to pitch it centrally...ish for Perth, Dundee Stirling n Aberdeen too...or have I missed the point n contributors are Inverness'centric?

Cheers,

Paul

Realistically there need to be several events to keep the Scottish population happy.  For example, I could be wrong, but bear with me.  Would you put on an English AA event in say Nottingham in order to attract members from Newcastle and London?  It's just under 300 miles from London to Newcastle.  About 50 miles less than Dumfries to Thurso, but there's only one location to cover this distance.  I fully appreciate that there are more members which make more events viable (I also fully appreciate that I'm not an AA member), but you do seem to expect a lot of people to travel a long way for an event.

9 minutes ago, Spruce Pirate said:

Realistically there need to be several events to keep the Scottish population happy.  For example, I could be wrong, but bear with me.  Would you put on an English AA event in say Nottingham in order to attract members from Newcastle and London?  It's just under 300 miles from London to Newcastle.  About 50 miles less than Dumfries to Thurso, but there's only one location to cover this distance.  I fully appreciate that there are more members which make more events viable (I also fully appreciate that I'm not an AA member), but you do seem to expect a lot of people to travel a long way for an event.

Forgive me but I've missed your point here...are you saying Pitlochry wouldn't work for you, or is your point a general one?

Apologies..

Paul

No, Pitlochry would actually be alright for me.  The point I was trying to make is that the AA seem to think that its possible to run an event for Scotland in a central location.  Hold it in Perth, roughly in the middle, and that will let those from north, south east and west attend. 

My point is that Scotland is a big place and needs events in multiple locations to be ideal.  So a south west event in Dumfries & Galloway, a south-east event in the Borders, a central event in Glasgow/Edinburgh, western events in Oban/Lochgilphead/Fort William, eastern in Dundee/Aberdeen, Northern in Inverness/Thurso/Huntly.

Does that explain myself any better?