Scotland - Arb' Association talks..or lack there of..

ArbMish

21 hours ago, scotspine1 said:

To be fair the Scottish Branch has run many interesting courses, seminars, workshops and meetings over the last 20 years or so. This year for example: Chris Simpson of Informed Trees ran a seminar on hazard tree assessment. Slater presented his theories on branch forks. There was a recent climbing workshop in Cumbernauld. The free to attend AGM in Dundee had Kevin Frediani of Inverewe Gardens and Keith Sacre of Barchams Trees giving interesting talks. 

Seen many people come and go at the Scottish Branch events over the last 20 years. All associations or club type organisations are cyclical by nature, you get a few core enthusiastic folk for 5-6 years then they move on for various reasons: have a family, move away, leave arb altogether etc.

In the meantime things get quiet for a while then more enthusiastic folk appear and things start happening again. 

As an example in the late 90s to mid 2000s the Scottish Branch ran well attended treeclimbing  comps in conjunction with the ISA at various venues around Scotland. These events stopped completely but the Scottish Branch continued putting on relevant climbing related workshops. 

If you want more AA representation and events in Scotland join the Scottish Branch and help put on events and suggest ideas. Alternatively start a new organisation call it Arb Scotland or whatever you want and organise events yourself with a few like minded people. You don't need the AA to do anything. Even a Facebook group could organise a couple of events/speakers/workshops every year. 

I missed this reply amongst the others.

I agree we perhaps don't need the AA to organise such things. Which is why I contacted Duncan directly and I am willing to organise a venue as well. The main issue is funding, as Duncan said the AA provide the funding for him to do his workshops. The other end of the stick is that we pay for an AA membership and don't seem to be getting much out of it, especially if you are anywhere North of Edinburgh. We're also encouraged to work towards being accredited but again are not offered the workshops/classes/talks etc that would help gain the accreditation. 

Personally I feel yes you are right we could start are own organisation but we already have one with the groundwork/public awareness/structure/members etc already present, we should be getting the benefit of that. 

On the other note of this thread, would you be interested in Duncan's workshop if it was run in the North? :)

2 minutes ago, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi said:

"The North" is a bit vague. I am assuming you mean somewhere like Inverness.

If so. Yes I would.

Yes sorry..mind was on something else. Hoping to run it at the Forestry College if possible.

Could you spread the word to anyone else who you think may attend.