MS261 v2

outonalimb

Just now, Stubby said:

Is there 1.5 mm float then Steve ?

No, the bearing is just shorter than the inner bore of the clutch drum by around 1.5mm - it can't help can it! Why have I never changed a clutch bearing on an MS200.....unless some twat has taken it out and then given me the saw to service :sneaky2:

• Like 1

Just now, spudulike said:

No, the bearing is just shorter than the inner bore of the clutch drum by around 1.5mm - it can't help can it! Why have I never changed a clutch bearing on an MS200.....unless some twat has taken it out and then given me the saw to service :sneaky2:

No . It cant help mate . Got to be one out there that bit longer ?

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

Not to fit one of these saws. All the previous Stihls needle bearings last forever....I think it is their way of selling lots of sprocket kits:sneaky2:

and new crankshafts and new saws!! that and loosing business to other saw manufactures 

From what little I understand of the problem, I was under the impression, that it stemmed from keeping the same bearing as the 260, when they made the 261, (presumably to save money). But they increased the power and the existing beating wasn't up to it. If the 241 does share the same bearing and I don't know that it does, then since the 241's power is lower, I assume the bearing is up to it.

Has the 2017 incarnation of the 261 at 3kW, got the same problematic bearing?

I thought it was a large batch of rim sprockets with a slightly out of round hole ( not the case with a spur , hence the swap for a fix ) However if you kept on replacing the bearing eventually it made the crank end oval and then the thing is toast .