Tree planting ??

Littletree

its a good paying job for a lot of hard work it takes a couple of weeks for the body to adjust, i planted trees in keilder forest, dumfries and galloway and right up to lairg in the highlands. well traveled we were mostly foresty commission tenders one thing you should get your self is a shoulder pad like the ones you get for car seat belts a mp3 player and dam good pair of water proof boots. good luck and have fun fresh air in the lungs and keeps you fit :001_smile:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did 5 seasons of planting, mainly whips on new bypass projects, several hundred a day, but also some really big stuff where they could only fit a couple in an artic trailer. The whips were usually quite soul destrying, but when i see the growth in the last 6 or 7 years on some of the sites the bad bits fade from memory. I prefered the bigger stuff, including some in central coventry near a new Ikea that was being built, and a project at a renovated athletics stadium in Uxbridge. also planted 15000 aquatic plants in a pond on that one. that wasnt great in waders over a cold winter.

Hi Guys

An update. I did my first trial day on the tree planting job .I worked with a couple of other lads they were just great to work with . it was really good fun the trees were thin but very long with a fair size base so we could only fit a few a time on the truck . we had to dig the holes then put in the large wood poles to support the tree. I then had to use a large iron thing with handles to get the stakes in I had to put it over the top of the pole and then lift it and bring it down and then keep going till the stake was at the right level .then i had to fix them to the stakes and then put a cage round them nice little job . :biggrin:

It was Great fun and am now sorted until April with regular work so am really very pleased with my self .

Littetree:thumbup::thumbup:

Hi Guys

An update. I did my first trial day on the tree planting job .I worked with a couple of other lads they were just great to work with . it was really good fun the trees were thin but very long with a fair size base so we could only fit a few a time on the truck . we had to dig the holes then put in the large wood poles to support the tree. I then had to use a large iron thing with handles to get the stakes in I had to put it over the top of the pole and then lift it and bring it down and then keep going till the stake was at the right level .then i had to fix them to the stakes and then put a cage round them nice little job . :biggrin:

It was Great fun and am now sorted until April with regular work so am really very pleased with my self .

Littetree:thumbup::thumbup:

Sweet! Well done!

I think your talking about a postbanger? :) (very imaginitive name i know) lol

I reckon beat up in a wired off plantation's the most soul destroying - we did 3 months solid of nothing but that - a long, distant memory now thankfully :sneaky2: the rate was terrible and we were banging in around a thousand a day - still it was better than the bacon factory which was where evereyone else ended up :thumbup:

I then had to use a large iron thing with handles to get the stakes in I had to put it over the top of the pole and then lift it and bring it down and then keep going till the stake was at the right level .then i had to fix them to the stakes and then put a cage round them nice little job . :biggrin:

That tool's called a drivall by some. Be careful with it, because sometimes you can lift it a little too high, and if it catches the edge of the post wrong, it can come back and nut you! This happened to a mate, who was fencing on his own, using one to bang in posts. Next thing he knew, he was lying on his back with the drivall on his chest and a lump on his head - he reckoned he'd been out cold for about 15 minutes or so..but he just got up and carried on.

Planting whips can be dull, but you can get to some nice sites, and it's good to see them years on.

This site was in the middle of nowhere, no roads visible...10,000 mixed broadleaved to plant...the second photo's the same spot as the first, but 8 years on.

Tom08.jpg.2183d28b99a9e1e483edacd25f15f5bd.jpg

Tom00.jpg.6eb95fae5905c418c46af77a597c02c7.jpg

I've been planting for the last month or so, 7000 down only another 6000 to go, half Douglas straight planted and the other Oak all tubed up.

Done all the beat up already, it can be a killer in some of the woods if they aint been weeded!

Sound like you’ve got yourself a good steady job there.

We used to do tree planting 4 months of the year with Leicestershire county forestry dept, used to work on the highways and motorways

It is hard work but very satisfying when you see the sites 5-6 years later on

As already said be careful with the post driver I had a friend who knocked himself out with one aswell

We used to put them on the post lying down and then stand them up to bang in

Good luck with your new job