ARB Approved...views please.

AA Teccie (Paul)

7 hours ago, roseyweb said:

Ive personally always detested domestic work but I know some people love it and if that's your playground aaac is going to be pointless. 

Hi, thanks for the post here.

I would agree that 'ARB Approved' is unlikely to have as much financial benefit in the domestic sector as it's both a very tough market and "price is king."  Not sure I'd agree its pointless tho as many contractors report back that its given them more access to the higher end domestic...a nice place to be, and of course dependent upon the contractors focus and marketing.

Cheers,

Paul

6 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Back on track chaps :)

Mr @AA Teccie (Paul) I have question :biggrin:.

If a small arb outfit were to apply to join AA what would the costs be ?. Lets assume it based on a climber,one groundie and a labourer , also they are up to speed on the following.

They have loler on their climbing kit.

They keep maintenance records of kit and trucks.

RAMS for all their work.

Toolbox talks with hse updates.

All have current tickets .

All wear chequered shirts and have beards

Bob

Sorry Bob, you've failed on the last point...beards are so "last year."

Essentially what you describe would be the £495 assmt fee, every other year, + £305 annual fee...both +VAT I'm afraid. The only anomaly here would be where a small arb team is part of a larger business / organization and then, because of H&S compliance issues of "5 or more employees," would have to apply as a 6-9 staff business and the fees £780 & £440 respectively.

Cheers,

Paul

PS What colour shirts? :) 

The other thing Paul is because the AA is a little up itself we can’t even promote it on our vans as members, I’m a member of the ISA and promote that more both to domestic and commercial simply because I can, I’m not even a professional in the eyes of the AA , can’t use there logo on my trucks even though I’m a member so why should I promote them????

2 hours ago, Ian C said:

The other thing Paul is because the AA is a little up itself we can’t even promote it on our vans as members, I’m a member of the ISA and promote that more both to domestic and commercial simply because I can, I’m not even a professional in the eyes of the AA , can’t use there logo on my trucks even though I’m a member so why should I promote them????

Clearly your outlook of the AA is improving Ian, i.e. your reference to us only being "a little" up ourselves :D.

Historical one in many respects in that the only entitlement to use the logo originally was with the 'accredited members,' e.g. AA Registered Consultants & ARB Approved Contractors. Approx. 3 years ago the AA re-branded which included specific / unique logos for the AARCs & ArbACs thereby allowing the AA generic logo to be released to members. Initially this was restricted to 'qualified members,' i.e. Fellow / Professional / Technician, but there are discussions afoot about further release so "watch this space."

However, there are vehicle 'window' stickers available for members and supporters...a couple of dozen should do the trick :/

Cheers again,

Paul

• Like 1

Clearly your outlook of the AA is improving Ian, i.e. your reference to us only being "a little" up ourselves [emoji3].

Historical one in many respects in that the only entitlement to use the logo originally was with the 'accredited members,' e.g. AA Registered Consultants & ARB Approved Contractors. Approx. 3 years ago the AA re-branded which included specific / unique logos for the AARCs & ArbACs thereby allowing the AA generic logo to be released to members. Initially this was restricted to 'qualified members,' i.e. Fellow / Professional / Technician, but there are discussions afoot about further release so "watch this space."

However, there are vehicle 'window' stickers available for members and supporters...a couple of dozen should do the trick [emoji32]

Cheers again,
Paul

Ok Paul , sorry well up your own arses! That better?

I know it’s an old moan, and I know it’s not your call but if the AA want better promotion who else better to promote that the hard working members be they “professional “ or not! I know you have the “trees are good” window sticker but that’s for mrs miggins window , as contractors and members we need something like the ISA do if the AA want free promotion.

Isn’t gas safe mandatory to be able to work with gas where as you don’t need to be AA approved to work with trees? 

The problem you have (bluntly) is if you can’t accumulate to speculate on the marketing why should people take notice of you. You could be all over social media maybe you are to make people aware of your accreditation. You could offer a small fee towards house builders for using AA approved firms who knows ...

Your numbers where 200 and odd businesses what market share does that equate too?

Accreditation is a great concept to help drive and deliver standards within the industry and I really hope it grows and becomes standard which is what you want but I can’t help but feel your going to have to spend a lot to get there. 

14 minutes ago, Ian C said:

Ok Paul , sorry well up your own arses! That better?

I know it’s an old moan, and I know it’s not your call but if the AA want better promotion who else better to promote that the hard working members be they “professional “ or not! I know you have the “trees are good” window sticker but that’s for mrs miggins window , as contractors and members we need something like the ISA do if the AA want free promotion.

The stickers, albeit quite small (80mm x 80mm), are "A Member of.." or "A supporter of.." and hence goes 'some way towards promo'ing the organization and the member...but more / bigger would be better.

Fundamentally though the AA is keen to get contractors as accredited members, i.e. ARB Approved Contractors, and therefore there's a balance to be struck such that they, and the logo, are not compromised (the ISA don't offer this opportunity and hence are all about promo'ing the individual arborist.) 

Cheers Ian, n I can't actually get anywhere near my own 'a*se' these days TBH :D

Paul

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swinny said:

What figures are there of firms that joined up then finished after a year or two?

Negligible, I don't have the figures to hand but I could count them on one (hand.)

Some decline the 1st full reassessment (Yr 6) if they don't feel benefits but very, very few in Yr 2.

Cheers,

Paul

3 hours ago, WesD said:

Isn’t gas safe mandatory to be able to work with gas where as you don’t need to be AA approved to work with trees? 

The problem you have (bluntly) is if you can’t accumulate to speculate on the marketing why should people take notice of you. You could be all over social media maybe you are to make people aware of your accreditation. You could offer a small fee towards house builders for using AA approved firms who knows ...

Your numbers where 200 and odd businesses what market share does that equate too?

Accreditation is a great concept to help drive and deliver standards within the industry and I really hope it grows and becomes standard which is what you want but I can’t help but feel your going to have to spend a lot to get there. 

Hi Wes, "fair comment."

You are quite right that GAS SAFE is mandatory and that's why every plumbers vehicle carries the logo. Hence they must have tens of thousands of income but they don't advertise it...but then given the afore mentioned, they don't need to.

Estimated 12-15k businesses so our market share is very small BUT we do have some of the bigger / biggest players / employers in the scheme (but lets not go down that path again :/ )

Yep, last comment acknowledged and with a finite budget we are looking as to what we can do best.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1