Using Climbing Gear From The States In The Uk

Leyburn Lad

If the gear concerned is being sold in the USA, it must have passed the relevant ANSI tests. If you get proof of that it should be enough to convince a loler inspector.

As for selling non-CE marked saws, you cant. Nothing to stop you using them though.

You can't sell non ce marked saws?? I think you'll find that plenty do! If you weren't allowed to sell them then they wouldn't be allowed to be imported - they would never get through customs!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't sell non ce marked saws?? I think you'll find that plenty do! If you weren't allowed to sell them then they wouldn't be allowed to be imported - they would never get through customs!

Customs and excise would have no jurisdiction to prevent equipment coming in as it is up to the seller to obtain the required marking and conformity within the UK / EU.

I would love to know who sells non CE marked chainsaws?

Customs and excise would have no jurisdiction to prevent equipment coming in as it is up to the seller to obtain the required marking and conformity within the UK / EU.

I would love to know who sells non CE marked chainsaws?

Take a look on ebay. I bought 3x husky 350s imported from usa on there last year. The american husky's come in a blue box instead of the brown boxes in europe.

The point remains that no one goes around checking that your saw has a ce mark on it.

Take a look on ebay. I bought 3x husky 350s imported from usa on there last year. The american husky's come in a blue box instead of the brown boxes in europe.

The point remains that no one goes around checking that your saw has a ce mark on it.

People flogging the odd saw on ebay dont count. they are classed as private sellers.

Your problem is this -

If one of your staff is injured using those saws, your insurance company will NOT cover you, and the HSE will be having words.

People flogging the odd saw on ebay dont count. they are classed as private sellers.

Your problem is this -

If one of your staff is injured using those saws, your insurance company will NOT cover you, and the HSE will be having words.

No, it was a dealer I bought from on ebay. And I don't think you would have to many problems with insurance or hse as the non ce marked saws are identical to the ce marked ones, apart from the emissions in some cases, all safety aspects of the saw are the same - so it would be easy to prove that the accident would have occured whether the saw was ce marked or not.

Oh yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It always makes me laugh when we are a couple of hours into work and the site safety/supervisor comes over and ask's to see our tickets/insurance, cis cards and loler etc.

"Bit late mate we've started"

Ask Douggie at Tavistock Chainsaws about non CE marked saws, I understand he had a container load of "cheap" saws ( husqvarna) from Romania and couldnt sell them cos they had no CE markings or rating at the time.

As far as LOLER is concerned if its got no CE or EN marks then I will not pass it fit for use unless there is supporting test/inspection paperwork from the manufacturer or importer. The CE mark can be given to individual items or batches sent for independent inspection and approval. ( a customer of mine imports pond stuff from the US and has been down this route)

Odd that when I did my loler course I failed the American made harness provided for inspection by the course provider because of the lack of CE marks on it, I was told that that was an incorrect decision and that the harness could be passed as Fit For Purpose!

Now, tell me is one of the top training providers in the country giving out the wrong information?