Why isn't the arbtalk employment working for me.. :(

benedmonds

as ive always said in the past and always had good feedback, if you want someone who is not going to stand around on thier iphone all day you gotta be prepared to dig a bit deeper into those pockets, i don't care what anyone says, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys! regardless of what qualifications someone has, pay them a decent wage and from experience you'll find they will be more willing to learn and work the way you want them to but most of all they will value their job more and you'll spend less time chasing your tail trying to find someone who's decent and reliable, moral of the story and its worked for me is stop trying to save a tenner a day here and there and pay a decent wage and most yr staffing problems will be solved!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bootroyd said:

as ive always said in the past and always had good feedback, if you want someone who is not going to stand around on thier iphone all day you gotta be prepared to dig a bit deeper into those pockets, i don't care what anyone says, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys! regardless of what qualifications someone has, pay them a decent wage and from experience you'll find they will be more willing to learn and work the way you want them to but most of all they will value their job more and you'll spend less time chasing your tail trying to find someone who's decent and reliable, moral of the story and its worked for me is stop trying to save a tenner a day here and there and pay a decent wage and most yr staffing problems will be solved!

If only this were true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The guy who I worked with was like marmite, either you got on with him or you didn't. I knew him from rugby so I got on with him. The other issue people had with him was his reluctance to pay a reasonable wage. With these 2 issues he's had around 58 guys come and go over the last couple of years. I may not have the experience but I work hard, turn up on time and keen to learn. I've got all my own kit and have made a lot of sacrifices to get my kit and pay the £3000 for the qualifications.
I think paying a reasonable wage from the start for the right person is important.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathanzac said:

The guy who I worked with was like marmite, either you got on with him or you didn't. I knew him from rugby so I got on with him. The other issue people had with him was his reluctance to pay a reasonable wage. With these 2 issues he's had around 58 guys come and go over the last couple of years. I may not have the experience but I work hard, turn up on time and keen to learn. I've got all my own kit and have made a lot of sacrifices to get my kit and pay the £3000 for the qualifications.
I think paying a reasonable wage from the start for the right person is important.

58 guys !!!! In two years !!! Wot !!! K

You've hit the nail on the head, hallelujah! It's all about building relationships, we all know tree work is hard physical work so why would you pay someone a pittance of a wage, money is a motivator I don't care what anyone says, there seems to be a certain amount of greed to, it's false economy to pay a groundie shite money a day coz all he'll do is drag his feet all day and productivity hoes out the window! All I expect from a groundie is for him/her to just turn up on time, that's a good start then build the relationship from there but if you start by paying them peanuts the relationship won't last the day let alone the future! Stop paying yr groundies shite money peeps and recognise tree work is hard and without them you can't do yr job and if they are useless but you get on work at it b4 ditching them! 58 people in two years....no sympathy!

You've hit the nail on the head, hallelujah! It's all about building relationships, we all know tree work is hard physical work so why would you pay someone a pittance of a wage, money is a motivator I don't care what anyone says, there seems to be a certain amount of greed to, it's false economy to pay a groundie shite money a day coz all he'll do is drag his feet all day and productivity hoes out the window! All I expect from a groundie is for him/her to just turn up on time, that's a good start then build the relationship from there but if you start by paying them peanuts the relationship won't last the day let alone the future! Stop paying yr groundies shite money peeps and recognise tree work is hard and without them you can't do yr job and if they are useless but you get on work at it b4 ditching them! 58 people in two years....no sympathy!

So how much would you pay a brew lad with little to no experience.

I agree, a decent groundy is worth a lot, but if all the groundies I've had the pleasure of working with only a small portion have been what is call good.

A really good groundy who isn't a climber is very hard to find indeed.

So how much would you pay a brew lad with little to no experience.

I agree, a decent groundy is worth a lot, but if all the groundies I've had the pleasure of working with only a small portion have been what is call good.

A really good groundy who isn't a climber is very hard to find indeed.

Yes I agree with you, but for me personally I'm genuinely just happy for someone to turn up in time lol....but in all seriousness and I get totally what yr saying it can be hard to find the right blend but for me I've found if I can get on with someone or have a laugh and feel comfortable in someone's presence then that's the most important thing for me, the rest will follow, I'd much rather have a groundie who was inexperienced but I got on with than the reverse, it doesn't take long to get someone up to speed on the ground, some of the best groundies I've had hav had little to no experience Atall and I've trained them up within a few days, basic rigging, snedding up ect, chipper management, stacking ect.....being a groundie is not rocket science but a lot of people talk it up to be almost in a way to justify paying them crap money if they are not up to scratch....I don't know it's just my take on it, my theory to it all will not work for everyone but it works for me, value yr as tag and In Turn they will value you! In answer to yr question joe, I'd pay £100 minimum for a groundie for the day and upto £130 without hesitation, £20 here and there ain't worth skimping for if u want a day of good productivity!

1 minute ago, Bootroyd said:

I'd pay £100 minimum for a groundie for the day and upto £130 without hesitation, £20 here and there ain't worth skimping for if u want a day of good productivity!

Is this PAYE, paying for their training, 28 days holiday, sick leave, pension, etc.. thats £33,800 a year,  you must be doing something right...