Storage of fire wood...

swinny

Hi there, 

Cheers for that... Aren't the bag supplies ones metre cube only?

Cheers

yes swinny only cubic metre, not a prob for me as i don't sell by the bag i just dry them i deliver in a pick up i do notice that some bags fill the back almost full and others need to be topped up by another third of s bag, they hold more than a metre as they do stretch and bulge, but variations could be an issue for some

I bought 30 full vented bags at the start of the year with plan to fill them but having got round to it. Just wondering roughly how long does it take for the fresh logs cut straight into the bag to dry when left outside 2 high, any rough idea would be ideal.

Hi William, where iam if the weather is good they come down to about 25% in 3 -4months all except oak which i find is best bust up and left for a year at least, logs cut to 10 inch and decent size none of these midi logs which i see a few people doing now, i think they have worked out they dry faster and burn quicker, to avoid mouldy you are best to fill the bags when you have a good bit of weather my gut feel is that if you put 40% logs in, then they sit in damp with low temps and no cover, that you have tipped the scales too far the other way, they need a bit of a head start to5f6f130f794a9a60d32d52dc1009f746.jpg help to avoid mouldy but it is possible to do, did i see you gone all posh ? how you getting on with it ?, and who's was all that nice straight timber ? will get a pic of the bags 2 high when i get 5

On 07/09/2017 at 08:08, Al Cormack said:

I'm using ibc crates in a polytunnel. Seems to be drying the logs pretty quickly.

The bags of logs are from a yard clearance job, so will see how they fare.

45f2d74308d58fce8dcc014f3da9e7db.jpg

What size poly tunnel is that Al? How many will it fit in? Forklift truck job to stack i take it?

bit reluctant to do anything at my yard as i rent and its so exposed to the elements. Looking into buying somewhere soon

What size poly tunnel is that Al? How many will it fit in? Forklift truck job to stack i take it?

bit reluctant to do anything at my yard as i rent and its so exposed to the elements. Looking into buying somewhere soon

It's 96 ft long by 21ft wide by about 11dt high.

Maximum number of ibcs will be around 192. I have an old Avant with pallet forks to lift the cages. Although one full with oak is getting on the limit of lifting, even with three counterweights on the back.

The polytunnel frame was already there, where I rent so only had to get it covered. The ends are open and there is netting for about 4ft up the sides to maximise airflow. Still gets roasting inside when the sun shines!

Has anyone out there gone from seasoning in ibc's to seasoning in vented bags? 

Thinking of cutting out handling but wanting to know if they season well from fresh felled in the vented bags? 

Dont want to go round in circles as sometimes it can feel that way!

I air season logs and sheet up at back end as do not have a building. May be looking to move yards to somewhere with a building soon and would think the vented bags stacked and then when sold out would look tidier than ibc's stacked and then empty... ?

Also ine thing to consider is i use a loader tractor and can be a pain to see to pick up the ibc's but in the other senario youve to jump out to put loops on forks then drive forwards then jump back out for the other loops on the bag!

no winning is there!

cheers

Never used ibc's but been using bags for the last 5 years.

Personally I'm not a fan of the bags for the following reasons
In my experience of using them I found
There was a lot of handling time involved with filling, stacking and emptying them
They were hard to stack well more 2 high and had tendency to fall over if we went more than 2 high.
They degrade in 2-4years depending on how much sunlight they get.

Although we deliver loose loads.
If you have a method for delivering in the bag, like a lorry with a crane, I'm sure it's a real bonus for sales and saves some time but you do have the full cost of the bag each year.

Although sounds like you had similar problems with ibc's

I'm looking at totally different system for the future to try and cut down on handling time.

I've found it hard to make money in the firewood game.

Regards Neil
  • Like 1

Just now, beechwood said:

Never used ibc's but been using bags for the last 5 years.

Personally I'm not a fan of the bags for the following reasons
In my experience of using them I found
There was a lot of handling time involved with filling, stacking and emptying them
They were hard to stack well more 2 high and had tendency to fall over if we went more than 2 high.
They degrade in 2-4years depending on how much sunlight they get.

Although we deliver loose loads.
If you have a method for delivering in the bag, like a lorry with a crane, I'm sure it's a real bonus for sales and saves some time but you do have the full cost of the bag each year.

Although sounds like you had similar problems with ibc's

I'm looking at totally different system for the future to try and cut down on handling time.

I've found it hard to make money in the firewood game.

Regards Neil

Hi Neil,

Its so frustrating is the log job. Im sure i could easy do 120 cube a year but more stress to keep them dry, more crates, more space needed.

Ive considered cutting the amount of logs I process down a lot.

Shame theres no where i know of for biomass round here as would get a big chipper and chip the lot!

maybe just how i feel at the moment!