Storage of fire wood...

swinny

Has anyone out there gone from seasoning in ibc's to seasoning in vented bags? 

Thinking of cutting out handling but wanting to know if they season well from fresh felled in the vented bags? 

Dont want to go round in circles as sometimes it can feel that way!

I air season logs and sheet up at back end as do not have a building. May be looking to move yards to somewhere with a building soon and would think the vented bags stacked and then when sold out would look tidier than ibc's stacked and then empty... ?

Also ine thing to consider is i use a loader tractor and can be a pain to see to pick up the ibc's but in the other senario youve to jump out to put loops on forks then drive forwards then jump back out for the other loops on the bag!

no winning is there!

cheers

obviously the less effort and equipment needed to take freshly felled timber and have it processed, seasoned, and delivered, the more money you make, and given the tight profit margins in this game, small savings can mean the difference between profit and loss. Filling straight into the delivery bag could be that difference. Not having a storage shed may hinder the drying process, also you would need to check if your vented bags are uv resistant, some bags, including the smaller net bags can suffer when left outside. Hopefully a new yard with a shed would help.

1 hour ago, swinny said:

would think the vented bags stacked and then when sold out would look tidier than ibc's

I had a dabble with vented bags for this seasons stock.  Haven't had a look to see how the drying has worked yet...

1 thing that did catch me out, maybe inexperience in the bag domain, was that initially, I just lobbed the logs in and filled the bag.  Maybe a bit OCD but I couldn't look at them - all bulged and irregular.  Had to unload and hand stack into the bags, it's time consuming, tedious and still doesn't prevent some log movement when stacking the bags.  Maybe I made an ass of it and there's an easier way.  I'm hoping the time spent hand filling the bags will be recouped by easier and quicker bulk movement and transport.    

43 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I had a dabble with vented bags for this seasons stock.  Haven't had a look to see how the drying has worked yet...

1 thing that did catch me out, maybe inexperience in the bag domain, was that initially, I just lobbed the logs in and filled the bag.  Maybe a bit OCD but I couldn't look at them - all bulged and irregular.  Had to unload and hand stack into the bags, it's time consuming, tedious and still doesn't prevent some log movement when stacking the bags.  Maybe I made an ass of it and there's an easier way.  I'm hoping the time spent hand filling the bags will be recouped by easier and quicker bulk movement and transport.    

Hi Kev, 

So you've fresh split into the bags back end last year or early this year for this back end?

Would be interested to hear how its gone for you! Please do check ;) 

I would bounce them with tractor when filling then just stack.

Cheers

21 hours ago, swinny said:

Hi Kev, 

So you've fresh split into the bags back end last year or early this year for this back end?

Would be interested to hear how its gone for you! Please do check ;) 

I would bounce them with tractor when filling then just stack.

Cheers

These have had a full 12 months+ in bags. I will check in the middle of the bag when I get a minute. I think I'm going to be less than impressed but we'll see. I tried bouncing the bags but they ended up like a blancmange and I couldn't look at them (or realistically stack 2 high)

The main advantage I hoped for was being able to drop a bag by the back door and nibble away at rather than fetching in a basket at a time. 

I use bag supplies full mosquito mesh, don't bother with the 26 stripe ones they are all no good imo, have tried lots of different ones, iam on my fourth year with bag supplies full mosquito, they are filled straight off the transaw, no mouldy issues, and they dry well, one bag per pallet and stack two high outside in full sun, have gone 4 heigh but it's a bit dodge as they move as they dry, 2 high is better, then to load just put the pallet on back of pick up leaving about 4 inch overhang over the tail gate , tip the bag up off the pallet, move pallet away then lift a tipping loop with fork, close tailgate, i can do this without having to get off the fork lift about 9 times out of 10, i don't have a rotator or the outlay for boxes, don't get me wrong i think boxes rotator etc etc is better but i can make this work and outlay is less and i have space back as stock reduces

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bustergasket said:

I use bag supplies full mosquito mesh, don't bother with the 26 stripe ones they are all no good imo, have tried lots of different ones, iam on my fourth year with bag supplies full mosquito, they are filled straight off the transaw, no mouldy issues, and they dry well, one bag per pallet and stack two high outside in full sun, have gone 4 heigh but it's a bit dodge as they move as they dry, 2 high is better, then to load just put the pallet on back of pick up leaving about 4 inch overhang over the tail gate , tip the bag up off the pallet, move pallet away then lift a tipping loop with fork, close tailgate, i can do this without having to get off the fork lift about 9 times out of 10, i don't have a rotator or the outlay for boxes, don't get me wrong i think boxes rotator etc etc is better but i can make this work and outlay is less and i have space back as stock reduces

Hi there, 

Cheers for that... Aren't the bag supplies ones metre cube only?

Cheers