bandsaw not working? whats wrong?

se7enthdevil

Start/run capacitor on the motor would be my first port of call Steve. It's the round thing with two wires going to it. Read the numbers off the old one and order the same, I got one for my pressure washer for £6 from the local electrical supplier when it started to go clunk instead of firing up. You could bypass the switch and just switch it at the wall to eliminate it from the list.

Edited by peatff

9 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

fairly sure it's not a burn out as i'd smell it wouldn't i???

eggs, the capacitor is next to the black box not inside it and looks exactly like the link you posted.

how can i differentiate between the switch failing and the capacitor?

Disconnect the capacitor and take it to somewhere like this, and ask them to test it for you.

https://www.tiendeo.co.uk/Shops/maidenhead/city-electrical-factors

if its shot get a new one and reconnect.

better still, if you know a local sparky ask him to test it for you.

Edited by eggsarascal

10 hours ago, peatff said:

Start/run capacitor on the motor would be my first port of call Steve. It's the round thing with two wires going to it. Read the numbers off the old one and order the same, I got one for my pressure washer for £6 from the local electrical supplier when it started to go clunk instead of firing up. You could bypass the switch and just switch it at the wall to eliminate it from the list.

it was making a clunking sound and juddered before it started so does that sound like the capacitor then?

13 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

thanks for the advice guys, sounds like i need to work out how to replace this gadget then...

i usually leave this stuff alone but it sounds like an easy enough thing to swap...

It's a straight forward DIY job Steve.

does your capacitor have two wires fixed to it, like my first link, or lugs fitted like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aerzetix-6F-450V-Motor-Run-Capacitor-with-6-3-mm-Lugs-/112520863452?hash=item1a32c41edc:g:3xIAAOSwEUtZjera

either way it's either unplug it from the lugs or undo two screws to remove it from the electrickery box. There is probably a half round bracket to undo to remove it from the motor.

close up picture would help.

Not that I am an expert but my compressor stopped working some time ago, it would make a sound and then nothing. The capacitor had failed and my understanding is that it gives the AC motor a kick in one direction so it starts going in the right direction as without it, it just sits there juddering a bit!

• Like 1

here is the back of my saw.

if that round thing is the capacitor it only has one wire going into it rather than two.

there is merely a bolt holding it in place at the other end.

does that mean that the capacitor is in the black box???

P1040077.JPG

Edited by se7enthdevil

tefc motor, std nvr starter switch, if the motors getting slow on starting, the capacitor is on its way out, your next fault will be not starting at all and the motor vibrating as it slowly burns out, the start capacitor causes a small "phase shift" between the windings and creates a rotating magnetic field, which is what causes the motor to spin........this happens naturally in 3 phase, but needs capacitor assistance in single phase

7 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

here is the back of my saw.

if that round thing is the capacitor it only has one wire going into it rather than two.

there is merely a bolt holding it in place at the other end.

does that mean that the capacitor is in the black box???

P1040077.JPG

Yes, the white thing is the capacitor. Take the lid off the black box, you will see there are two wires inside the black sheath that go from the capacitor, disconnect them and get it tested.

All you need to do is match the capacitance in micro farads and the voltage of the capacitor and you should be able to just swap it out. I found one for my compressor on ebay, around £10.00! I would imagine if you put "starter capacitor" in to ebay, you may find something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCR-COMPONENTS-MR14-440-CAPACITOR-14UF-440VAC-Starter-Cap-/292187471347?hash=item4407bafdf3:g:6UgAAOSwnHZYiOVk

Worth a few quid to see if it gets it going IMO.