Trees In My Neighbours garden

David Read

go round and knock on their door, be uber polite, explain the situation, invite them round to your garden for drinks at 6pm, offer to contribute towards the cost of having them removed or trimmed/topped.

Winning answer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They may not be interested in OP's plight because it doesn't effect them.

Get ½ dozen cockerel (or some other method of choice) that will negatively affect the neighbours enjoyment of life.

When they come round to complain, bingo, there's your trade off!

Or kill them and bury them in a shallow grave....

A few bird scarers set to go off from 4am too.

I have talked to my neighbour and have also sent him a letter in which I offered to pay for the the trees to be trimmed but he has not replied.

I have also been in touch with the council who want £500 up front before they will come and look at the problem.

I am considering paying the £500 but will I be wasting my money.

David

If you are still following this thread ...

You could be wasting your money. A couple of trees shading part of a garden for part of the day does not constitute grounds for a High Hedge Notice. If they shade and shadow a large part of the garden for a large part of the day and fall within the statutory definition of a High Hedge, then you might succeed in getting them partly reduced in height.

I strongly recommend you take some basic measurements of your garden (depth and width) and the hedge (estimating the height will do) and sit down with a copy of Hedge Height and Light Loss. This is a freely available public document and you should be able to get a complementary excel spreadsheet with it. Plug in your numbers and see what height the hedge should be for its dimensions and thegarden's dimensions. If it's less than the current height, it may be worth spending £500. But even if it is, you should present the evidence to the hedge owner and try first and seek agreement to have it reduced.

There's no need for solicitors.