SDS Drill vs standard cordless for drilling wood gateposts

Matthew Storrs

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid size geny run drill, grinder, saw anything lot more money but more use maybe.

I have a genny which I use to run a 5kg SDS drill for granite concrete etc- its brilliant but bit of a ballache loading it up and humping it around a job site if I can't get truck near.

I was kind of hoping a cordless SDS either 2kg or 5kg would do everything but from what people are saying perhaps not as good as a cordless drill when it comes to torque for wood posts.

Cordless does seem to have a knack of running out of battery at 4pm when I just need to hang one more gate:laugh1:

Over the last few years iv been trying to get everything cordless- the best thing being a grinder which is great for cutting bits of gate ironmongery and the like.

We will soon be looking to import some of these drills which attach to your saw...

Should have one to play with towards the end of next week - slight issue is you need a wide range to fit different saws...

May well do a pre order style offer where you tell me your saw and we'll order that one in - you'll wait 6-8 weeks but you'll get a better price.

PM me if interested.

:001_smile:

Oh Er Mrs. that whatchamacallit looks wile handy Rob, ah wile pity ah dony actually need one o them.

cheers

mth

Haha! Yep but it's irrelevant whether you need one or not - it's just if you want one or not :001_tongue:

I drill a lot of timber, much far harder than oak sds drill slip and if the bit gets stuck it stays there

We use 18 v Bosch brushless last drill got to 30 months old before cooking Bosch repaired under warranty

For large holes use proper slo speed drills for timber metabo make a good one the stihl bt 45 great drill and works in the cold unlike batteries

Interestingly had to hang a few gates this afternoon- not having a cordless at the mo I had to use my Genny and 5kg SDS. Got to say it absolutely blasted through the 10" telegraph poles with barely a change in motor tone.

I know it's not as hard as oak but really can't see it struggling. Whether you loose power if it had been a cordless SDS who knows..

We will soon be looking to import some of these drills which attach to your saw...

Should have one to play with towards the end of next week - slight issue is you need a wide range to fit different saws...

May well do a pre order style offer where you tell me your saw and we'll order that one in - you'll wait 6-8 weeks but you'll get a better price.

PM me if interested.

:001_smile:

Thanks Rob- I'm not sure about that one in the link- to me it looks a little 'awkward' with the handles being perpendicular to the drill piece- and possibly quite restricted when gateposts are up against walls etc???

Do you sell the echo petrol drill that Goaty was referring to above?

Thanks