Anyone done the lantra proffessional tree inspection course at Capel?

cerneARB

Was considering sending one of the guys from my team on this one at Capel, Tried to get some background info on the guy taking the course, but didn't get anywhere. :confused1:

Does anyone no what his name is what he does etc....?

Hi David, Not sure if it is James who does the course, he's the guy doing the Arb apprenticeship but it's just a guess. I'll see if I can find out when we are back at Capel towards the end of the month and ping you a message

Hi David, Not sure if it is James who does the course, he's the guy doing the Arb apprenticeship but it's just a guess. I'll see if I can find out when we are back at Capel towards the end of the month and ping you a message

It's not James.

I believe it's a Consultant, but not got his name.

Was speaking to James this morning, should of asked him then :blushing:

How was your first week at Capel, Jay ?

Er, failed it twice, so far. The 3 day course is a refresher, assumes you already have Tech Cert or similar. Lantra PTI Level 3 is in 3 parts. Written paper, not too bad, refresher training helps; fungi test, easy if you have some knowledge, have Lonsdale with you, AND HAVE WRITTEN OUT the info the trainer will give you (name, seat of infection, type, strategy, typical consequences) but be careful - if you get the name wrong, you can't score any other points. 2 wrong and you cannot pass! Finally, as the man says above, you must survey 2 trees and produce a report. Prepare a key, a pro-forma, and then make sure it all hangs together - examiner has failed me once partly because my report conflicts with my key. It's a bit different to anything else I've ever done (forestry, utility arb), and I thought very tough - basically, you need to speak the lingo. If you're not used to detailed inspection work and aren't rock solid on your arb, you will do well to pass. Last time, I crossed the 70% threshold, but still failed with critical faults - basically the examiner did not agree with my assessment of tree condition (and I'm sure he was probably right!) With 3 good A levels and 15 O levels, I'm not used to failing The Man's little tests, and thought this was an absolute b*stard

Monkeyed

it was going to be me but alas i cant help them out this time, i have no idear who it is going to be but there are only about 20-25 people arround who do it.

thay are really on the money, and know their stuff, just depends weather you relate to their teaching stile.

Monkeyed

it was going to be me but alas i cant help them out this time, i have no idear who it is going to be but there are only about 20-25 people arround who do it.

thay are really on the money, and know their stuff, just depends weather you relate to their teaching stile.

Cheers Kev,

Capel have been a little vague as to who is taking this one.

I've picked up on there being a little inconsistancy between a couple of tutors.

Personally, I had Guy take mine a couple of years back and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.