Newbie with some questions

Stevie777

He's talking about cutting up fallen trees, that can be fun without the experience. Taking off all the side branches while the root plate is still attached for example while walking along the trunk for easy access.

Yeah obviously windblow is a diffrent kettle of fish...

I would hope a senseable guy with loads of common sense wouldnt attempt that sort of situation.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting up fallen trees can be more dangerous than cutting down a tree.

You mention being aware of the dangers of tension (not really the same as experience) - I assume with your background that compression is also fully understood.

The issues and pitfalls with fallen trees are such that there are courses specific to windblown trees.

For a self-confessed novice to start out with a saw with no chainbrake will not be seen by many as a wise move. If you are careful you may never get kickback (experience teaches us to work in a way that avoids it) but it is in the early stages of gaining experience that it is most likely.

Without a chainbrake you are leaving yourself (no atter how full of common sense you are) wide open to a common event without having one of the best defences for it in place.

I have no intention of raining on your parade and I hope to see a lot more posts from you but while you are learning be monstrously careful using that saw.

If you were a relative of mine I would come and take that saw from you and lend you one with a brake. Assume each cut can go wrong, then you will not be taken by surprise.

I here every word you say and will take it all on board. Thanks. As i said earlier i would be taking this machine apart first and make sure the machine is sound mechanically. I could be months away from actually using it. I will be doing a course in the meantime. Once again thanks for your input. It's why i'm here.

Scottish then mate happy days.welcome to the forum,maybe you could conscider just doing your cs 30 which is just chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting,about 350 quid.It covers all aspects of what you would need.

yip. I'm looking into it. Do you know of any courses local to Wishaw North Lanarkshire?.. The closest i could find was Dumfries College. ?

Thanks.

He's talking about cutting up fallen trees, that can be fun without the experience. Taking off all the side branches while the root plate is still attached for example while walking along the trunk for easy access.

Only interested in a few small 4" diameter branches. I wont be taking enough off a heavy fallen tree causing it to spring back up if that's what you mean. ?

And i certainly wont be walking along huge trunks cutting as i go. Maybe one day once i have had enough training and feel more confident, but until that day i'm just interested in small stuff.

Edited by Stevie777

Yeah obviously windblow is a diffrent kettle of fish...

I would hope a senseable guy with loads of common sense wouldnt attempt that sort of situation.

I'm only looking at taking smallish branches at waist height. I wont be cutting anything under load...Feel free to advise me of all things i should be looking out for. It's why i'm here.

Sruc oatridge is quite near you check that out.

If you decide to get your cs 30 you can get an independant learning award to the tune of 200 quid to put towards your course fees.Chris simpson at informed trees is based in hamilton but the courses are run in cumbernauld.

Treevolution ate based nearer edinburgh at midhope estate.

Both are good training providers.

HW training are in dumfries if thats an option

Sruc oatridge is quite near you check that out.

If you decide to get your cs 30 you can get an independant learning award to the tune of 200 quid to put towards your course fees.Chris simpson at informed trees is based in hamilton but the courses are run in cumbernauld.

Treevolution ate based nearer edinburgh at midhope estate.

Both are good training providers.

HW training are in dumfries if thats an option

They have stopped ILA until october. They have rebranded and are in the process of restructuring it. Not sure of the ins and outs at the moments but will keep my ear to the ground thanks.

Just been given Chris simpsons name from someone at New Lanark wildlife trust and called CCI Scotland who have run courses in the past, but that all depends on funding as it's a not for profit organisation. unfortunately they dont have any funding in place so far this year.

I dont mind paying £350 to get me started, but if the financial help is in place then why not use it to your advantage.

Edited by Stevie777

Does that have AV? if not buy a good pair of AV gloves.

This is as much information i have on the saw. Nothing i've seen in the pics that screams AV. Model Profile: 260 It's safe to open.

I'm sure Efco/Olympyk/olympic whatever would tell me more about the machine but it would appear the model number was not carried on from OM...ie, A OM 260 is the same as the Efco 360 or a Olympyk 460.. etc etc

I need a parts and user manual for this, but my best bet would probably be to get one for a Efco or Olympic that would match up. I did notice i could download a OM manual from a US based online shop, but not sure if it's the one i need. Doesn't cover the 260 model but it does cover the 251,261 etc etc and a 61cc motor. $5.?

Edited by Stevie777

When I started out saws never had a chain brake and I'm still breathing . I'd be more concerned at the possible lack of AV ? Anyway you might do worse than take your CS30/31 or whatever its called now .

How the hell did we manage, no chainbrakes, no AV mounts, usually no helmets, visors or ear protection. Don't:001_rolleyes: even mention leaving terra firma and climbing trees

Apparently you can recognize old tree workers, they're all deaf, blind and lack appendages:biggrin: Those that survived, that is.