Squirrels

slack ma girdle

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used a Kania 2000. I found it a bit tricky to set and I only caught a single tree rat. Mine has a mesh tunnel and it has been suggested other squirrels may be put off the trap if they see a dead relative hanging out so you might wish to try a covered tunnel.

I've had more success with body grip traps in these boxes: https://www.fourteenacre.co.uk/shop/fineren-bodygrip-box-for-squirrels/

I went on a simple cause with Dave Fineren and find the body grip traps easy to set (after a bit of careful practice) and successful if you bait the trap for a few days before setting the trap. I've had a new squirrel spring within minutes of resetting it.

One thing that has helped is to start baiting an area now if you can, before setting the traps, so the young bark strippers get used to finding food.

Has one one used these ?

Kania 2000 Trap | Collins Nets Ltd

Yes they are ****, I borrowed 3 off an estate I do work for (they caught none in 18months)

I caught 1 in a year. Fenn traps are the best, but I only had success with them after a few pointers from an old boy called Jigger who contributes to Red Squirrel magazine and does squirrel control on Sotterley Estate in Suffolk, he trapped and shot well over 1000 in his first year there, on about 200acres of wood, and you'd be hard pressed to spot one there now!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

if you use a fenn trap for squirrels, do you just put a box over the top with something they'll want to get? or hows best to set them for squirrels?

thanks

Yes put a tunnel over a baited trap, preferably on a horizontal trunk in a more open area of wood as they favour these areas for ground foraging and love charging around chasing one another along these low 'bridges' . You can also strap a box to a tree with a Fenn trap in it (a la Kania) but I haven't had as much success (lots of mice though[emoji15], and wire it round trunk as the squirrel do chew through baler twine etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk