Phone book advertising

Alinicoll

Sure. Guess new businesses have to start somewhere. Problem is that YP is full of new businesses that charge too little in order to get work.

So you pay a fee in order to get work by being the cheapest. Give it a go for a while though and eventually recomendations will take over.

Thats the plan. Got a job last week. I was the most expensive quote but i got it because i got a good recommendation. Great. Could do with more...

Feel free to recommend me :lol::001_tongue:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Small ads are good,worked for us.Tried a bigger one for a start,waste of money.Two disadvantages,don't know if it's jist up here but YP or phone book work is always quote against 2 others and i'm fed up of cold callers phoning me at work because they fonnd the number in the YP or PBk.

You need to work for firewood and beer money, then you`ll get loads of work :sneaky2:

Sounds like a plan!!!!:thumbup1:

Probably 99% of all domestic and commercial work the customer is always happy with what we have done and do usually go on to say that they will pass our number on and recommend us etc etc,but, I just think how many of my mates, neighbours and relatives require tree work and its nearly 0 so how many customers that are impressed with our work actually do know someone else that needs our services!

Thats true but how do you reach new customers that dont know the ones that you have done work for?

I use a local magazine and I reward all my customers that recommend me. I'd rather pay a commission to a past/present customer than pay YP to have me running around quoting against 5 others,

it depends on who you want to reach & how you advertise as to whether it stacks up

Thats dead right. What advertising will work for one company wouldn't for another.

I still think though that it does pay to have an ad in YP, even a single line. I've had existing customers say to me "we lost your business card, but your in the Yellow Pages aren't you" when I've called to quote for more work. If I hadn't they would might have thought I'd packed in and rung someone else.

Recommendation is the best way to get work, but you would need alot of years behind you to survive getting work JUST in that way. Also I don't think you'd grow a business very fast either, I don't think you'd get the volume of enquiries. Sometimes just because you are recommended doesn't guarantee you the work. They may be friends of someone you've worked for, but they may have totally different ideas of how much they are prepared to pay for tree work.

it depends on who you want to reach & how you advertise as to whether it stacks up

I found that advertising, especially YP, reaches the type of clients that don't own any significant trees and/or don't have any appreciation for trees and/or don't have any money!!!

I found that advertising, especially YP, reaches the type of clients that don't own any significant trees and/or don't have any appreciation for trees and/or don't have any money!!!

It does show that YP seems to have completely different results for different companies in different area's.

I know that I would lose a massive amount of work if I stopped advertising in the YP.