Phone book advertising

Alinicoll

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i find it useful.

yellow pages and yell.com have had best results.

black and white adds only, the prices are quite incredible when you get over an 18th of a page. and colour can double the price. if think these days people look at the smaller companies in the phone book. (ones who cant afford the fullpager)

every year i ask them for a 3 quotes for different sizes and then i go cold on them and tell them to call back nearer to the time. after a while the sales team gives up and then before entries close for that an area manager calls and asks why you not advertising this year. if they dont find out the closing date and call a few days before. i got HALF price compared to last year...and they'll still have on file the advert you put together earlier in the year.

its a bit under-hand but, hey, they sell advertising!

one other tip. look at all the other tree surgeons adverts...they all have pictures of trees and saw and that. give them the insurance and certs info and twin it with an asbtract design instead. makes you stand out abit.

Cheers. The reason i ask is because i had one last year and then had to move about a month after it went out and changed landline number therefore it was a waste of time. This year i was thinking of not bothering but the sales guy sounded so disappointed i thought it might be worth haggling an see what happens.

i find it useful.

yellow pages and yell.com have had best results.

black and white adds only, the prices are quite incredible when you get over an 18th of a page. and colour can double the price. if think these days people look at the smaller companies in the phone book. (ones who cant afford the fullpager)

every year i ask them for a 3 quotes for different sizes and then i go cold on them and tell them to call back nearer to the time. after a while the sales team gives up and then before entries close for that an area manager calls and asks why you not advertising this year. if they dont find out the closing date and call a few days before. i got HALF price compared to last year...and they'll still have on file the advert you put together earlier in the year.

its a bit under-hand but, hey, they sell advertising!

one other tip. look at all the other tree surgeons adverts...they all have pictures of trees and saw and that. give them the insurance and certs info and twin it with an asbtract design instead. makes you stand out abit.

Your right about the size of the advert. If you listen to all their sales patter you'd end up spending a fortune and get no more work than if you'd just gone for a small one.

I think that its good to have a presence in the Yellow Pages. Alot of people who have never used a tree surgeon before would still look there first. There is still a huge number of potential customers who never go on line at all. So apart from a recommendation, where will they look?

I've had a lot of really good jobs from yellow pages plus the thousands of crap ones!

I small ad doesnt cost that much and can easily be made back with one or two jobs. I see spending money on advertising toatl different than spending money on other things like kit, wages, maintenance etc(I know Rupe may disagree if he reads this:001_smile:)