Can you help me??

jondawes101

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be worth thinking about- you have to go a long way and be pretty determined to poison yourself with yew, and the fleshy bits of the seeds are non toxic anyway...

Effect on humans

Fifty to one hundred grams of chopped leaves is considered fatal to adults.

A world-wide investigation in 1998 (Krenzelok et al.) shows 11,197 records of yew poisoning (from all Taxus species) in humans (96.4% in children less than 12 years old) and found no deaths. A 1992 article in Forensic Science International (Van Ingen et al.) stated that only 10 authenticated cases of fatal human poisoning by T. baccata had been recorded in the previous 31 years, and that they were all deliberate.

Krenzelok, E.P., Jacobsen, T.D. & Aronis, J. (1998) "Is the yew really poisonous to you?", Journal of Toxicology Clinical Toxicology, 36, 219-223.

Van Ingen, G., Visser, R., Peltenburg, H., Van Der Ark, A.M. & Voortman, M. (1992) "Sudden unexpected death due to Taxus poisoning. A report of five cases, with review of the literature". Forensic Science International, 56, 81-87.

(Copyright © Fred Hageneder 2005)

Good work, tommer9. Great post.

I had a little lick of a taste after the blasted berries blocked up my chute.

They look and feel a lot more repulsive than they taste but the bit i tasted tasted of almost nothing.

However the nastiest berries that have blocked my chute (I only run a small chipper) were rowan last week. The stuff is rancid and braught my groundie up in a nasty excma <--- spelt wrong

Well at least we think it could have been the rowan berries. They were so nasty feeling and generally yucky that i couldn't even bring myself to touch one to my tongue.

People make jam out of rowan berries, so i not think it would be that.:001_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice. I think I want to get this tree felled. It is about 10 metres tall. What would be a reasonable price for this work and where could I sell the wood once it's felled? Also - is there a quick an easy way of assessing if indeed i am able to get it chopped down at all? I have very little idea of what the legal position is on this. All thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

Jon

if you post your area then someone on here will be close by and could take a look for you, they will know the local area well and be able to give you advice and a quote, i wouldnt expect to make a fortune from the wood either, small pieces are usually given to wood turners for favours rather than cold hard cash,

This may be worth thinking about- you have to go a long way and be pretty determined to poison yourself with yew, and the fleshy bits of the seeds are non toxic anyway...

Effect on humans

Fifty to one hundred grams of chopped leaves is considered fatal to adults.

A world-wide investigation in 1998 (Krenzelok et al.) shows 11,197 records of yew poisoning (from all Taxus species) in humans (96.4% in children less than 12 years old) and found no deaths. A 1992 article in Forensic Science International (Van Ingen et al.) stated that only 10 authenticated cases of fatal human poisoning by T. baccata had been recorded in the previous 31 years, and that they were all deliberate.

Krenzelok, E.P., Jacobsen, T.D. & Aronis, J. (1998) "Is the yew really poisonous to you?", Journal of Toxicology Clinical Toxicology, 36, 219-223.

Van Ingen, G., Visser, R., Peltenburg, H., Van Der Ark, A.M. & Voortman, M. (1992) "Sudden unexpected death due to Taxus poisoning. A report of five cases, with review of the literature". Forensic Science International, 56, 81-87.

(Copyright © Fred Hageneder 2005)

Hi there,

Thanks everyone for your tips and advice. I think I want to get this tree felled. It is about 10 metres tall. What would be a reasonable price for this work and where could I sell the wood once it's felled? Also - is there a quick an easy way of assessing if indeed i am able to get it chopped down at all? I have very little idea of what the legal position is on this. All thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

Jon

:confused1:

Hi Doc. I'm a bit worried about this mole on my skin. I think it could be serious... So, you don't agree? Not at all? Oh ok. I think I'll arrange to have it removed anyway, thanks for your advice.

Fingers crossed its protected if it's any good. :D

Isn't it bad luck to cut down a yew?

On the lethality of yew, I know farmers who are terrified of it.. They are convinced that the smallest leave/needle will wipe out their cows and sheep.. and have seen it happen...! I'm not convinced...

I've been meaning to look it up for ages, found this:

YEW

Contains an alkaloid, taxine, and a heteroside, taxicatoside. Toxicity is maximal in winter and is not reduced by drying. Cut branches that are a few weeks old are more toxic than when fresh.

Oral doses in g fresh plant material per kg/ body weight:

LD cattle 1-10

horses 0.5-2

pigs 3

sheep, goats 10-12

dogs 8

rabbits 20

So if an cow weighs 400kg it would need 0.4 - 4kgs to kill it! Whereas a horse the same size only 0.2kgs.. I guess it's not a lot for a hungry animal to eat!