Circular saw spring clean

the village idiot

The dryer the timber the less lubrication and more heat, cutting Ash will soil the chain on a saw, just because of the low moisture content. Cutting some nice green timber may well do the job, it certainly bring a chain up nice and clean after Ash or dead wood, IME.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mcconnel will generally cut around 200 cube of logs then start to feel a bit dull although the teeth look ok,once re-tipped it's a different animal

Hmm, interesting!

The blade has done about 200 cube since new so may be time for some tlc. Excuse my idiocy, but by re-tipping do you mean sharpening or do they literally put a new tip on the teeth?

Have you checked the effective set on the teeth? Some tipped blades have true set, others it's the width of the carbide but sticking a straight edge across should show up whether there is still adequate set.

Alec

Thanks Alec,

Sounds like you and Beau may be touching on similar things. Are you coming over for the retort gas analysis? Perhaps I could show you the saw at the same time?

Re reading this it does sounds like there may be more to it than resin build up. You say there is friction on larger cuts. Either the blade is trying to cut curves probably due more ware on one side of the blade or the other. Alternatively could there be a miss alignment? The body of the blade should be clear of the wood as the teeth are wider than the saw body. If the carrier is not moving totally square to the blade it could be pushing into the side of the blade on deeper cuts. Just a thought.

This is true, except timber is under compression, so as you cut the cut closes behind the cutters.

The dryer the timber the less lubrication and more heat, cutting Ash will soil the chain on a saw, just because of the low moisture content. Cutting some nice green timber may well do the job, it certainly bring a chain up nice and clean after Ash or dead wood, IME.

Makes sense. Most of the wood I cut is Ash. I'll try putting some freshly felled other stuff through.

This is true, except timber is under compression, so as you cut the cut closes behind the cutters.

Not quite with you Dave , under compression? I know you get less clearance when cutting wet as opposed to dry wood but always thought that was just because the fibres have more flex due to being wet.

Not quite with you Dave , under compression? I know you get less clearance when cutting wet as opposed to dry wood but always thought that was just because the fibres have more flex due to being wet.

Wood is a compacted structure, as you cut, the cut closes as the material at each side of the cut expands.

Wood is a compacted structure, as you cut, the cut closes as the material at each side of the cut expands.

Not doubting you but if this is the case why when cutting with a chainsaw is the top of the bar not binding all the time?

Sorry TVI for derail just interested in this.

Not doubting you but if this is the case why when cutting with a chainsaw is the top of the bar not binding all the time?

Sorry TVI for derail just interested in this.

I think there is binding, but the saw generally has the power to cope.

I could be wrong :001_smile: